oil change

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Modern cars now often have the oil sucked out via a pump in the dipstick tube instead of drained via the sump plug, has anyone used this method on a T.C. ? If so, does it get as much/more oil out then draining?
Where are pumps available (in U.K. if possible) and how much do they cost?
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:37 pm

Hi there,
larger workshops have special machines (They're big!)which are connected to an air pressure line. These machines (some are made by Tecalamit) are connected to the workshop compressed air supply.
The suction hose has a quick release connector, to which a choice of suitable nylon pipes that have spring steel wire inside to support them & allow them to flex through bends that may be in the dipstick guide tube may be fitted.
These pipes have various diameters & lengths to suit the wide variety of vehicles on which they may be used. Some cars have dipstick tubes that extend right down to within a couple of mm of the bottom of the sump. This allows an adaptor to be used & utilises the dipstick tube itself to suck the oil out.
BMW use these machines on every second service because the oil change can be done quickly without the use of a car ramp. During the major service where it is necessary to have the car up in the air, the preferred method of draining the oil is used.
When sucking the oil out an amount of oil will always remain at the bottom of the sump. This remaining oil is usually the most contaminated oil.
By draining the oil in the "conventional" way, the oil will tend to wash out the contaminated oil at the bottom of the sump in it's flow.
I recommend that you stick to this method of draining your engine oil, even though it's a pain getting an Elan up high enough & parallel to the ground to do the job comfortably.
Regarding special pumps, I know of large diameter bicycle type pumps with metal bodies that are designed to suck & blow that can do the job or maybe those little pumps from B&Q that you can run off a power drill. I don't think that they can suck much more than about 100mm however, check the specifications.
I recomend that you stick to the draining method & hope to have been of some help.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks for the reply John, the reason I asked is that I am on another forum (Merc SLK) on which some of the members use the pump as the prefered method of changing oil, they seem to be private individuals so the pump would not be to large, I agree about the contaminated oil being at the bottom but one guy says he's done it both ways and gets more out with the pump.The forum is mainly american so I would think pumps are available there, maybe I will ask for more details on that forum.
Thanks Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:53 pm

Boat engines are normally drained of oil by using a pump, for obvious reasons. There are a large selection of pumps for this purpose advertised by online chandlers such as compass. I dont see why they wouldnt do the job on a twincam.
Personally I would prefer to use the traditional method.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:59 pm

Yep, you are right, I asked the question and they use boat pumps both electic and vacuum pump type.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi Brian,
Take a look at this site http://www.nfauto.co.uk/oil_extractor.htm - Its the same site someone posted regarding air conditioning.

Regards

David
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:13 pm

Thanks Dave.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36