Starter Motor

PostPost by: trarker » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Hi,
I have a lot of trouble with standard starter motor on my +2 S130. I'm looking for a High torque starter motor, each dealer has a model, the prices are very different from 185? for Paul Matty up to 260? for Tony Thomson and 175$ for "r.d entreprise".
Could someone provide me with advice ?
Do someone konw r.d entreprise in the USA.

Thanks for your answer
Jerome
trarker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:05 am

My favorite vendors are Dave Bean Eng, RD Ent., and Sue Miller.

As for RD Ent. - I buy some parts from R.D. Enterprises for my Elan S3 almost every month. I always receive the part I need, it is usually much better than OE quality (never worse), for a fair price and with timely deliverly. The owner is Ray Psulkowski who is extremely knowledgeble and very pleasant. Ray will take the time to discuss the problem you are having with your Lotus and help figure out what is called for. He has been involved in Lotus for a many years, so his suggestions are valuable. He also wrote a book titled "Lotus: The Elan, Cortina and Europa" which has been out of print since about 1990 but it is well recommended by a number of owners. (I am still looking for a copy.)
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trarker » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:51 am

Thanks a lot for your answer, I'm going to order my starter motor at RD Ent..
Jerome
trarker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:46 pm

Just a thought, check you have the correct starter motor? - all twin cams, in all Loti should have a 9 tooth starter pinion (according to Miles Wilkins' book) - most exchange starters from non lotus dealers are likely to be 10 tooth units. The correct starter motor will spin over a bit faster helping over the high compression of the twin cam....

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:01 am

Hi There

Ditto that about the starter motors. My first plus 2 always had trouble turning over. It took ages to work out that it had the wrong pinion. The latest one spins over just fine. Now that these cars are getting on a bit, I guess that it is possible that the ring gear is not standard. Might be worth counting the teeth to confirm.......

All the best..
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:13 pm

Jerome, I agree your Lotus should start OK on the standard motor assuming that it is, as others have said, you have the correct pinion and ring gear.

The other important thing often overlooked is that you must have a sound earth/ground to the motor. If in doubt run a cable direct from the battery.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trarker » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:56 pm

The probleme comes from the starter motor (I hope so...) it becomes quickly hot while trying to start. The new part came from "exchange standard", it's a Lucas, but I think it has 10 teeth...
I''ll receive the "perfo part" this week,

I keep you in touch
trarker
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: