Type 26, 36, 45 Elans engine mountings

PostPost by: John Larkin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:35 pm

I have an Elan S3 with Webers. I recently discovered a small hole abraded into the top of the driver's footwell (it's RHD) underneath the rear Weber. Despite being involved with Elans since 1974 I never knew that a special engine mounting is required on the carburettor side engine of the engine if Webers or Dellortos are fitted; it lifts the carb side 0.5". I then discovered on this forum that Spyder may have made chassis for the Elan 26/36/45 with the engine bracket mounting on the chassis modified to provide the required lift, meaning that using the correct +0.5" mounting would lift the engine too far --- and I have a sheet steel Spyder chassis in the car since 1980/81. Sean Reeves of Spyder has clarified the matter:- the Spyder sheet steel chassis for the 26/36/45 needs the +0.5" engine mounting exactly as per the original Lotus design. The Spyder spaceframe chassis uses a different arrangement with two similar mountings reversed and inverted. I have been using the incorrect mounting.... thus my added footwell ventilation!

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi
Interesting; From my investigations for my own S1 I know that Chris-Neil sell a specific mount for the S1/S2, but on my car at least, the std mount on the S1 gives no clearance problem, at least while it's in good/newish condition, so this might be a car specific issue (how unusual for an Elan).

When I first acquired my S3 the airbox was indeed rubbing where you indicate, but a standard mount easily restored the correct height.
JK
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

Total Online: