switching to electronic ignition on Twin Cam

PostPost by: jhonnyrockets » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:32 am

:D I was wondering if I could get a few different peoples views on switching to an electronic ignition on the Twin Cam? I know there is
magnetic and light beam ones. Any preferences? Will it give me better
performance? Does anyone like points better? Has anyone ever done an MSD on an elan out there? Iam building a plus two with strombergs and Iam trying to squeeze all of the precious ponies out of the set up that I can. I have Dave Bean mild cams the hottest set up they recomend for
Strombergs. Can anyone throw me some wisdom?

thanks ahead of time,
Jhonnyrockets
jhonnyrockets
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:39 am

Unless you go to the expense of a fully mapped crank triggered ignition system going to electronic versus points will not make much difference unless your distributor is badly worn.

Electronic ignition is generally more tolerant of distributor bearing slop and the timing has less scatter with a sloppy shaft. But if this is a significant problem you really ahould fix the distributor anyhow.

The real advantage in an Elan is that once electronic triggers are fitted you dont need to look inside the distributor so often and given its location under the carbs that saves a lot of hassle.

I run the light sensor style lumenition in my plus 2 and esprit and have never had any problems over the last 20 years with the installations. My Elan I run points as that is required by the racing regulations I run under and given I take good care of the system and regualrly check the points and replace when worn I never have any problems. I also run a Bosch distributor which is just a better design than the original Lucas one.

As for getting the most out of a Stromberg car look for some previous posts by Steve Waterworth who has done some of the only published work I have seen on how to push the hp.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:31 am

Please feel free to contact me off list for any info - Steve Waterworth.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: