head breather

PostPost by: miked » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I went out in the Elan the other night to a pub run. There was guy with a Lotus Cortina Mk1. I went and had a mooch under the bonnet. His dynamo was rusty and the area around the dipstick was clean and dry. Had a gander around the other side and he had no breather whatsoever, not even the rubber grommet. Open to atmosphere! Not even a dribble under the hole.

My S4 Stromberg has had lots of time on it to ensure no leaks but still drives some up the dipstick tube. My alternator will never rust/corrode.

That was it, I pulled out my breather tube (to the airbox) and taped the air box hole (temp' measure). Even pulled the rubber to open the hole further. That it, I am done with the breather B*llocks. Had a tiny little vapour wiff at the lights once. Checked when I got home after 10 miles, no dribbles. This must significantly reduce the crankcase pressure. Will clean around the alt' area to monitor. It does P*ss you when you drop oil and it travels backwards down the engine. I know somone is going to tell me "thats what they do". It is normal to try and cure leaks, for me.

Can you be too fussy in trying to stay to spec'. I am tempted to do the oil breather bottle thing but dont know if it is worth it and also the rubber grommet must pull the diameter down again in the head.

Mike :shock:
Last edited by miked on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:17 pm

A breather can/filter would be recommended, especially if you ever want to drive on a race track. It's a little more environmentally friendly as well.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:28 am

I have a little Pipercross breather fitted to my twinc.

I never liked the idea of oil vapour etc. going through the carbs. Details on http://www.steveww.org/index.php?id=80
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:39 am

Yes, catch it in a catch tank :!:
The fine balance of a Stromberg engine can easily be upset by a connection to the oil system... :?

So you're saying you don't approve of the built-in chassis anti-corrosion system :?: :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: