How far can you go without a belt?

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:44 pm

My read on this is that you were exceeding lucky. It may be that no damage occured.

I'd change the oil and retorque the head and drive it for a couple of weeks, then recheck the head torque.

If all is well after this, then I think you are good to go. The only expense is maybe a valve cover gasket.

If the head bolts loose torque and there is evidence of plastic deformation under them, I might then try some slightly oversize, hardened, head bolt washers and give it another go. I don't see what you have to loose at this point.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:20 am

Bad luck with the car

Hope the Leonard Cohen concert was worth it, I am a big fan of his music where was he playing?

Lets hope the sisters of mercy are smiling on you and there is no serious damage
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgently » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 pm

L. Cohen concert (outdoor, in pouring Dublin rain) was, against all odds, one of the most uplifting and impressive I've ever attended. Catch him if you can - he's well into his seventies but can put on a show with the best of them.

I have only now got around to replacing the belt and trying it. It started and ran normally. Haven't retorqued the bolts, will do that before putting it back into use.

I don't think I'm out of the woods though. A gentle fast metallic rattle towards the front sounds like (water pump?) bearings and I could swear I can hear air leak around the front carb.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll update when I know more.
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: