Best paint for engine bay. Also ceramic sound proofing......

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:15 am

Hi

What is the best paint for the engine bay. Is it plain (black in my case) cellulose, or is there a better option? I intend to brush it on. Also I have seen a brush on ceramic sound deadener on sale. Anyone have experience of this? Oh, and one last one.....what do people use for painting under the wheelarches?

Many thanks for any feedback!!
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:50 pm

Being a tight-fisted luddite i nipped down to my local B&Q shop and purchased a 500ml tin of blackboard paint (dull matt black),ideal for under the wheelarches,engine bay,radiator etc.etc.etc.......
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:11 pm

I'm pretty sure the original finish was satin black cellulose.

I used it on mine and it looks the part. You do need to sand the areas as well as you can 'cos it will flake off if you don't. It'll flake anyway but at least you can minimise it :)

Susan Miller told me Mick always used satin black celly on his restorations

Spray on Stone Chip is probably what you mean by spray on sound deadening. Upol Gravi-tex is the best in my experience as a reasonably decorative anti stone chip finish under wheel arches etc ( to be honest I would have thought the sound deadening would be minimal)

Don't be tempted to buy cheap stone chip - most of it is rubbish.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:58 pm

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I will look the Blackboard paint up. I have a family member who has a shot blasting and metal finishing business. He suggested a synthetic slow drying paint which I could brush on. The paint flows, so the brush marks dissappear. I have ordered some in satin and will let you know how I get on.

The creamic stuff I am thinking of comes as a powder that you mix with the paint. Apparently it makes the surface highly heat reflective, tougher, and also deadens sound. It sounds like very interesting stuff.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:36 pm

Berni,

The only problem with blackboard paint is that it is matt and it will turn your underbonnet area into a blackboard which will show all the marks and retain dirt.

Low gloss or satin would be more practical
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:47 pm

I bought a new body from Tony Thompson and he told me to mix 1/2 to1/2 black gloss and black matte. I would not use blackboard paint for the reason mentioned. After 3 years my engine bay looks great. I bought rustoleum oil base paint and brished it on - per TT reccomendation. Painted everything except the lip where theouter body comes down about 1.25" into the engine bay.
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:59 pm

I used Smoothrite Hammerite Satin on mine in aerosol cans . Its tough and petrol resisant , also looks damn good !
I have had to respray a section after a repair and the 'blend' in is also good .
Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: