Plug leads

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:32 am

OK, so it's only asthetics but one of the plug leads on my car is a different colour and I would like to replace the set so they match! Sad I know ...

Can I just buy a set from Halfords or similar or do they need to be special in some way?

It's a '72 Sprint on Webbers and is still running the standard distributor, dynamo etc.

Thanks,

James
Last edited by jimbo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:07 pm

I've made my own using Bumblebee black and yellow striped ignition wires (wires only) that are available from Moss Motors. They're a correct vintage wire too (not stock on an Elan, but period-appropriate.) 7mm size to fit the stock distributor cap; I purchased Magnecor fittings for the wires seperately.

For performance, but not necessarily aesthetics because they're plain black in color, I would recommend installing the full Magnecor wire set. :twisted: Catalog no. 4790.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Bumblebee Ignition Wires.gif
available from Moss Motors...
Bumblebee Ignition Wires.gif (9.22 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:12 pm

James,
Period leads were of two types, suppressed leads and copper leads with suppressor caps on the end. Suppressed leads tend to be more prone to breaking down so I prefer copper leads but make sure they have suppression caps on or you will get radio interference.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Mike,

That would be a clever trick ... I've not got a radio! :wink:

Thanks for the advice.

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Gary,

I had a quick look in their catalogue and am wondering if I actually need part no. 47204 since my distributor cap is of the clip on type? Or am I reading it wrong. The cap is a clip on, but the wires are terminated in the cap with screw blocks ...

:?

Cheers,

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Jim,
Sorry you haven't got a radio, mind you they're not that easy to hear in a Lotus. You do need the suppression anyway so that other road users can hear their radios without interference.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:07 pm

James, Maybe you should contact Magnecor directly and get their recomendation. I have a clip-on distributor cap too with screw blocks, and that's the plug wire set they'd recommended to me, although I haven't installed it. Personally, being an unabashed aesthete, I went with the Bumblebee wires. Chicks dig guys with striped wires... :D

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:03 pm

mikealdren wrote:You do need the suppression anyway so that other road users can hear their radios without interference.

Remember the good old days when hot rods would drive by your house and the TV and radio went all fuzzy. I wonder if you could get enough interference to mess with cars computers? Especially all those Honda Civic guys who want to race.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:04 pm

I have had a few sets of wires over the years, but the Magnecore wires are hands down the best I have used. :!: :!:
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 pm

Fred Talmadge wrote:Remember the good old days when hot rods would drive by your house and the TV and radio went all fuzzy. I wonder if you could get enough interference to mess with cars computers? Especially all those Honda Civic guys who want to race.

Before I fitted new leads to my Elan the copper wire and non resistor plugs would crashed the rolling road computer every time. I also played havoc with the converted tacho and the rev limiter. Thus new surpressed magnecore wires.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richboyd » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:14 pm

If my Elan uses solid (copper) core ignition wires, will I broadcast enough RF interference to shut down any neighboring cell phone users?
I am certain that the person who crashes into my Elan will be driving an SUV while talking on a cell phone. No doubt about the cell phone aspect.
Not an accident - better defined as driver inattention. Negligence.
richboyd
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: