digitize +2 console for plug / mold

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 am

My +2 console is in many pieces and it appears glue is a terrible solution.

Is it possible to digitize the console and have a mold made? Anyone on the list do this type of work?

I assume a vacuum forming mold would be expensive but a wooden or polyester plug could be used to make a fiberglass mold and then copies of fiberglass. Painted or upholstered they would look better than carpeting the tunnel.

This failing I will try a fabricated plug from wood.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:01 am

Why not place a wanted ad??
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:00 pm

That is how I got the console I now have. A fellow Lotus lister was parting his aborted +2 restoration. It cost shipping only. I assume you get what you pay for. I have seen others and have yet to see one without cracks or so fragile and brittle that handling and certainly shipping would produce cracks.

If any one has one without cracks and supple enough to withstand cracking than I would be interested. It appears that the plastic ages poorly.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Bob,
Not sure if we are talking about the same age of console but mine is constructed like the trim on the underside of the dash edges. It's a white plastic with a foam backed, black plastic covering. It's very weak and mine is quite split but I'm not sure that many will have survived better.

I plan to reinforce the base plastic with fibreglass as it's out of sight. I'll then tidy up the black plastic covering which has survived quite well. Or I might re-cover it in some black leather which I've seen advertised recently.......

Mike.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Sounds like an "S" version console. Two plastic (fiberglass) pieces upholstered in vinyl.

The standard +2 uses a one piece black plastic console. It runs from the dash to the rear seat back.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:26 pm

mikealdren wrote:Bob,
I plan to reinforce the base plastic with fibreglass as it's out of sight. Or I might re-cover it in some black leather which I've seen advertised recently.......

Mike.

Mike / Bob,

I am having my Elan console refurbished as described as we speak. I get it back later in the week.
I could not see me getting a good as new, uncovered, undamaged console from fleabay or anywhere else for that matter. My console was cracked etc in a couple of places "Oh that will stiffen up with a bit of fibreglass and be as good as new" said my upholsterer. So it remains to be seen, he's confident.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: emdemas » Wed May 14, 2008 1:20 am

Bob,

I'm a little delayed in responding. My 69+2, 1111 has it's console in pretty much 1 piece. It is flimsy andtwisted a bit. I don'trecall whether your in the Europa group but I am and Joe Irwin has been putting together a Zetec Europa Special. I have visited him a number of times in his shop in the Long Beach CA area and he was working with another local business that makes carbon fiber parts. I believe Joe had him make a Europa console,didn't see the final result but Joe is keen on nice looking good quality parts. While carbon fiber is maybe a bit more exotic the thought would be to have a solid "base" console made and then upholster with your interior/seat material. Edge stitching running the length on both sides would give a little bit of the +2S look and feel. Is the of interest? I couldtry and track down Joe to see if his neighbor is still game to do something like this.

Ed Demas
emdemas
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: