Engine stand designs

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:13 am

Hello,
I've checked the archives to no avail; is anyone willing to share a design for a Twink engine stand that mounts to the engine mount bosses? I've seen a design that creates enclosed rails on either side of the block so it can be rotated in all axes, but can't find the pics anymore. Your collective wisdom is as always, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
1971 Elan S4
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: velo5338 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:48 am

I have an ordinary (cheap - Harbor Freight) engine stand that normally bolts to the end of an engine so it can be turned in the same direction as the crankshaft. I wanted to hold the engine so it rotated about an axis at right angles to the crank.

I welded an old engine mount to a piece of 1/4" plate with 4 holes drilled in it. The mount bolts to the engine and the plate bolts to the rotating part of the engine stand. Works great, block spins round at the touch of a finger. I'll post a picture if you want.

Mike

'72 Elan Sprint
'74 Europa TCS
'72 Westfield 7
Noble 23 replica (wip)
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:13 am

Thanks Mike, I've got a setup like that, but I'm looking for a more compact design that will allow me to tip the engine in different positions, and set it up on a workbench. My rotating engine stand is floor-mounted, of course, and takes up room that I'll need for other projects. The compact side rail stand will work better in this case.
Cheers,
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mart2elan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Hello Greg,

I have used a home made engine stand that mounts to the engine mount bosses. Its a very simple one and with 4 small wheels you can easy put it away somewhere in a garage corner. I don't have the drawings anymore but i will try to attache some pictures (first time). In combination with the cleaning tank and a wooden plate to store the gearbox and diff its a nice multi purpose stand.
Marten
Attachments
MVC-062F2 (Large).JPG and
Engine stand + wooden plate for gearbox and diff
DSC00067 (Large).JPG and
Engine stand + cleaning tank
DSC00066 (Large).JPG and
Engine stand
mart2elan
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: