sealants advice needed

PostPost by: ttaunton » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:19 pm

What is the current thinking on the following?
The paper gasket between the front of the block and the rear of the two front cover castings. The manual says just install it dry with no sealant, but I am tempted to bin the gasket and use Loctite 518, as in the past there always seemed to be a smear of oil appearing at the joint.
Also the metal to metal joint between the two front castings. The manual says "apply a suitable jointing compound". Here again Loctite 518 or similar would fill the bill. Any one got any comments or advice? It seems a pity not to take advantage of modern sealants.
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:22 pm

IIRC , Miles Wilkins book extolls the virtues of modern sealants that werent available when these engines were new, I've used 518 (I think!!) on most of the gaskets on my engine, I would retain the gasket and apply a thin coat of 518 to both sides of it, thats what i did.

not sure of the number as I'm a few hundred miles form home!!!

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:40 pm

THE absolute best stuff is --permatex gasket the right stuff ---cant be beat --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65 Lotus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:07 am

I installed the large gasket dry as specified, and used 518 on the metal-to-metal joint with great success. Would not hesitate to to it again.

Now if someone could just tell me the secret to getting the back end of a rope seal engine not to leak, I could die happy.

On the latest repuind, didn't leak for 100 mile, now have some sepage.

Guess it's just the way it is. :(
Scott In Ohio
26/3795
65 Lotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:02 am

use pump sealant rope and over lap it 1/4 inch each side - of the pan edge --ie over lap on the length--ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:03 am

THE ELAN FACTORY has a very comprehensive list of sealants and lubricants for Elans:-
specifically for the
Back plate to block, they recommend Wellseal with the paper gasket
Front Cover to back-plate Permabond A136 or Loctite 515 (anerobic acrylic)
Front Cover to Cylinder head Loctite 587 (=598 in UK) Silicon sealant

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:36 pm

The modern sealant of choice at the moment seems to be Threebond 1215.
A chap by us rebuilt the engine over the winter on his national rally Imprezza and used this stuff, as reccomended by prodrive and other top teams.
The engine was virtually gasketless using this stuff.
I've used it on my twink rebuild and the beauty of it is that its grey colour matches my freshly painted block :oops: .

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: