Rev Counter Dial

PostPost by: PeterDraper » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:34 am

I have been running my71 Sprint for the last 34 years so I am fairly at ease with it. The rev counter works fine some of the time but will fluctuate wildly at others. It has done this for some time now. I have changed to an alternator over the last 2.5 years, but from memory it was the same before the conversion. I am now wondering if I should cheque any wireing before sending the unit to speedy for repairs.
Peter
PeterDraper
New-tral

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 pm

Peter,

Did you upgrade to electronic ignition? If so, did the tach start acting up at that point in time?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterDraper » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply Frank, in truth I do not rember when it started but at least three seasons ago. I did no mods to the Electronic ing system after installing the alt. I know it reads at least 500 high when steady.
Peter
PeterDraper
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:05 pm

Peter if you electronic ignition fitted that will be the cause the tacho is current driven(RVI) and the current flow in what used to be the points cicuit is a lot less with electronic ignition & gives unreliable operation. You could convert tacho to voltage driven(RVC) i just put up with mine
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PeterDraper » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks Ian that is just what I have been doing. I will think about an upgrade come the winter
Many thanks
Peter
PeterDraper
New-tral

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:28 pm

Peter,

Before you send it out for a conversion, think about this. Practically every car manufactured in the last 25 years came from the factory with electronic ignition. A good portion of them, probably half, have tachometers. Do you have access to a junk yard?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:22 am

If it really is intermittent the problem may be ignition wiring.
I have electronic ignition (Alyson unit - in the car when I got it) and have suffered intermittent misbehaviour of the tacho from time to time. Aside from once being caused by coil failing and once by a cracked plug ceramic, I have always been able to rectify by thoroughly checking, cleaning and securely connecting all leads from/to the solenoid, coil, ignition switch, tach, distributor and plugs.
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: