tappet setting

PostPost by: miked » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:45 am

I have just checked the above after doing all my engine and gearbox out oil leaks that I posted some weeks ago.

Have noticed that the exhaust settings have opened. They were:

No 1 - 10
No 2 - 9
No 3 - 10
No 4 - 8

Have covered about 12k since total rebuild and they maintained the above seting till now.

Now they are:

No 1 - 11 (loose 11)
No 2 - 11
No 3 - 12
No 4 - 10

Am I right in thinking this is carbon build up. I did have some fun with rich mixture. This is now well sorted. On strombergs's. Carb guy set needle valve brass part in wrong postion so adjustment could not be achieved.

Is it better to dose it with some Redex down the necks of the carbs and run it to try and shift this and then re-check.
Or shall I reset and alter the shims.

Any advice welcome. Am I talking boll*cks expecting Redex to clean the exhaust valves. I only though about it later. Thanks Mike

Good job its raining cats and dogs. Otherwise I would be a sad old boy!

:)
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:50 pm

update.

I have left it and put the top on and run it. I had the engine upside down whilst doing the sump gasket. Wonder if some oil/debris went under the valves seats.

Only been out for a 10 mile run before it rained but it is running great as before. Will check again.

Would appreciate a comment about the Redex and exhaust valves. Would it have any affeect. Or is it just the inlet and the combustion chamber etc that would be cleaned.

Dont mind it being B**locks. :lol:

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:18 pm

miked wrote:Am I right in thinking this is carbon build up. :)

Are you saying you suspect carbon build up on the seats/valve seating area is causing loose tappets? if that were the case the valves would not seal and your compressions would be low, I very much doubt that is the case as you say it is going well,do a compression test and post the results.
The Redex should clean the combustion chamber,valves(flat face) and any build up behind the valve, it is unlikely it would have any effect on the seats and valve seating area as I dont think you have any problems there.
If the valves had not been seating due to carbon then the chances are that they would be burnt and will never seal.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 pm

Brian,

Not had chance, but will do a Compression test and Post. Thanks for advice.

Mike

:wink:
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: