new starter

PostPost by: alan71 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Brian,

My Brise has a 9 tooth pinion.
I can only tell you that thanks to the invention of the digital camera.

Alan
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Alan,
I have just followed your instructions. In both cases the pinion moves out but there is no attempt at rotation.
I shall fit the new lucas starter tomorrow and see if that works. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the solenoid or wiring on my car.
I am beginning to wish I had followed my instincts in the first place and stuck with lucas.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Update.
Keith Gustaffson thinks that my problem is a faulty solenoid. Doc Martin is sending me a repair kit that is effectively a new starter, just a few bits to swop over. Hopefully that will be that, however, I will not use the solenoid bypass method this time.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 pm

I have just received the lucas starter I ordered from Chrisneils last saturday. Supposed to have been dispatched monday ( next day delivery) . It has a nine tooth pinion! I ordered a ten tooth pinion. I had the car booked in to an MOT on thursday which I had to cancel. I have tickets for the Classic Silverstone meeting next weekend. Do I fit the starter with nine teeth and try and get the MOT fitted in next week while waiting for the repair kit from the USA or do I clap my shotgun to my mouth and call in the decorators?
Bloody Lotus!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:12 am

If anyone has access to both types of pinion I would be interested in the difference between them, apart from the number of teeth obviously. Are they both the same diameter and therefore the teeth on the 9 tooth bigger, possibly causing it to jam, or is the 9 tooth pinion smaller with same tooth pitch just to give a different gear ratio?
Are there 2 types of ring gear?

Alan.
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:21 am

I have fitted both 9 and ten tooth bendix (normal Lucas starters) and they are both the same diameter. I would only ever fit 10 teeth bendix as I have had problems with 9 tooth ones which were cured by fitting the ten.
Despite other ring gears been mentioned I have only ever seen 110 tooth T.Cam ring gears and that includes early 4 bolt f/wheels engines.
Gary, have you seen other ring gears?
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: