new starter

PostPost by: wondo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:37 pm

i bought a new starter on ebay, when it came out of the box it looked so different to the original that i`m not shure it will work.
does anybody of you use a starter like this one?
once i reassemble the whole car it`s a bit to late to change the starter easily...
Attachments
DSC00254.jpg and
wondo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:01 pm

looks like you bought one of the high torque starter. If it is the correct one it will be a huge improvement over the stock starter. This type has been around for 10 years or more and is well tester and a big improvement on the stock starter.
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:58 am

It's pretty easy to replace starters on roadworthy Elans, but by then it sounds like your return possibilities may be over.
It does look like a high torque model, does it bolt up to your engine ok?
How was it described on eBay?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wondo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:09 am

it was described on ebay as a lotus elan replacement starter.
the gears look identical although the gears on my old one are so worn out that they are hardly recognizable :-)
i was just wondering about the complete different construction.

i had a lot of problems with the old starter "popping out" and i hope these are now history.
wondo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:11 am

It's a geared pre-engaged starter motor - infinately better than the original.
Do you have the electrical connection instructions? They are important.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Wondo,

At the solenoid move the large heavy wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter to the same terminal that the heavy cable from the battery to the solenoid is connected to making it hot all the time. Also at the solenoid, disconnect the red/white wire that goes from the ignition switch to the solenoid and extend it to one of the small male connectors on the starter. If you have an external ballast resistor and if there is a second small male connector on the starter, run a small wire (I would suggest white) from this connector to the positive side of the coil. This will give your coil a full 12V during starting. You can toss the original solenoid if you don't want to use it as a junction box for the battery cable to the new starter, but you will need to install a long heavy cable from the battery all the way to the starter. If you don't want to take the interior of the car apart to install this cable, install a battery cut off switch and connect the cable from the battery to one side of the switch and the cable going to the starter to the other.

Say goodbye to cranking problems. You bought the right starter. Good luck.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:42 pm

For an alternative wiring of the new stater, do nothing with the existing solinoid wiring. At the starter connect a short jumper from the heavy battery cable to the solinoid on the starter. Full 12 volts, takes about 5 minutes, and you can always fall back on the old starter if the new one craps out...
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lincoln62 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:33 am

On installing starters. If yours is like mine that top bolt is difficult to get in place as it is under the carbies. I cursed and cursed mine.
Get a piece of heater hose, diameter big enough to hold the head of the bolt and a bit longer than the starter. Shove a bit of dowel or metal in it to make it stiff and straight. Push the head of the bolt into the end and you should be able to use it to push the bolt in and turn using the gadget from under the car. When it is started you can use a socket and extension to tighten. Worked a treat for me.

Peter
66S2
Lincoln62
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:37 am

peter is right, the hardest thing in installing these is getting the top bolt. the other way is a really long extention socket coming at the bolt from the front of the car. it or some kind of tube to hold it in place and get some turning going are the only ways to do it.

but, when done, you'll laugh at how much better this is than the original.
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wondo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:15 am

thank you for these nice hints.

it`s always nice to try around and find out more things about the car.
but this forum can really help minimize the frustration factor.
wondo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:20 am

Should the ring gear on the flywheel be turned round?
This will then put the entry chamfer on the ring gear to face the new entry direction of the pinion.
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:02 am

Hi Dave
The original lucas starter has already buggered up the ring gear, why would you want to do that. Almost all of the ring gears I have seen are double chamfored and are suitable for entry on both sides. if not its not really a reusable item, get a new one.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zeteclotus » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:53 pm

If you watch a 2 bolt starter as it tries to start the engine it pivots on the 2 bolts rising on the ring gear (only slightly but it can be seen)

I you add a third mount to the back of the starter(in between the starter and the sump) you stop this movement and you never need a new ring gear

Pre mod ringgear every 8-10k miles. post mod and 40k miles ring gear looks perfect (clutch change)
zeteclotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:13 am

I fitted one of these ( see previous posts) and was very happy - until the car wouldn't start last week. It appears that the starter is jammed ( I can hear it turning when I turn the engine by hand). I drove the car about 15 miles like this and I am assuming that the starter is ruined. The ring gear was perfect when I fitted the starter. The thing that worries me is that the number of teeth on the starter was not the same as the original starter. Doc Martin, who supplied the new one, said this would not make any difference.
I shall remove it this week and see if I can spot the problem. The question is then, do I go back to the old Lucas or do I try another one of these?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:59 am

Chris,

I fitted my starter within a couple of weeks of you, but for many reasons the car has hardly been used since then.
How many miles have you done with the new starter?

Please don't delay in giving us full details, and pictures if possible.

Have you been in touch with Doc Martin yet?

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: