Cam timing question

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun May 20, 2007 3:37 pm

Good Lord! I didn't mean to cause such a heated discussion.
I have just got back from a trip to norfolk ( in the Lotus) and this is the first chance I have had to read this thread since friday.
As I have very little knowledge of these engines I listen to other people and try to learn from them. This engine had been messed about with by various people who told me they knew what they were doing and I was very fed up with the problems when I was told about Dave Walker. I didn't ask for a " budget job" but was impressed with him and asked him to rebuild the engine. He made a splendid job of it and I couldn't have been happier. Unfortunately the person who fitted the engine for me ran the engine without oil pressure for what he says was a short time. I don't know what happened as I was not there but you can imagine that I was not happy. I spoke to Dave again and he offered to strip the engine and report back. Having given me the bad news he kindly agreed to do the work again. Once again he made a great job. I fitted it myself this time and made sure that oil was circulating. However, it appeared that the carbs were not right. Eventually I took it to Corten Miller who are not far from me and are supposed to be good. After four hours on the rolling road ( and ?186 ) they told me that there was something wrong with the carbs but they didn't know what. Output was 80bhp at the flywheel. I then decided to buy new carbs as I just wanted it to be right after all this time. Having fitted them I wanted them balanced properly and was told about Paul at PRP by East Lincs Motorsport. I took the car there last week and he had the car on the rolling road for about six hours. I was very impressed with his knowledge, attention to detail and method of working. The car runs very sweetly now.
I felt that the bhp figures were low and wanted to know why. If much more knowledgable people than me say that the figures are not so far out then I am satisfied. I simply like things right.
I have not been critical of Dave Walker. On the contrary I have sung his praises to all and sundry. He has recently rebuilt a 711m twincam for me and made another lovely job. It is now in a F3 hillclimb car and the new owner is over the moon with it. I thank him for all the work he has done for me and thanks also to Rob who put me on to him.
Similarly Paul at PRP is in my opinion a genius at tuning and a hell of a nice bloke. I was happy to go to him as he is a pal of Daves.
I have been let down by some other people which has cost me a lot of money and trouble. For example the company that charged me ?550 for rebuilding the head which turned out to be a complete botch. The guy who wrecked the engine after Daves first rebuild and the rolling road I took it to before PRP.
All in all it has been a depressing trial getting this far over the last six years. Like my mum used to say " it's not what you know but who you know"
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: