Valve Seats

PostPost by: dhcelan » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:30 pm

I am finishing up a 2nd restoration on an early 69 S4 FHC. After getting all of the bugs sorted out (The latest, all new suspension bushings and rebuild of door mechanisms). I read the section on degreeing an engine and made timing disks for the engine and cams. I felt the engine (2500 miles) needed the valves checked as low end power was way off and sounded like an exhaust valve was burned or leaking. Well #1 exhaust is bad with zero clearance and fails leak down with the cam loosened.

Question 1: :huh:
Can sintered exhaust valve seats be installed for unleaded running?

Question #2 :blink:
The engine number is G/XXXXX/B I found that the G means a fedral engine with Stromberg emissions head(US). Does the B mean "B" cams as
all the books I have read call out "C" cams for this engine? It has "B" cams installed.

Question #3 :D
Who are the best machine shops with twin cam head experience. I don't need any more suprises. (only two valves, each on a differant clyinder were in spec.)

Any help would be great!
dhcelan
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:10 am

Where are you located?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dhcelan » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:26 am

Colchester, Vermont
dhcelan
New-tral

PostPost by: gwnorth68 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:33 pm

I had my T/C head overhauled including valve seat replacement by a performance oriented m/s in Granby, Quebec. Not too much time on it yet but no problems and very impressed with the shop. Contact me off line if you want info. You'd have to understand the border procedures but prices were very reasonable.
Tom
'68 Elan S3 Roadster, '72 MGB, FFR Roadster Cxbxa Replica, 2001 Saab 9.3
Bolton Ouest, Quebec
gwnorth68
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: