+2 heater which version?

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:58 pm

The heater in my 1969 Elan +2 (Federal LHD) does not match the pictures in the parts and workshop manuals.

I have a Smiths Ford unit with a coolant temerature valve. The unit pictured shows the temp controlled by a lever in the unit. My nit has only one control lever and that is for the air distribution.

Does anyone on the list have a LHD +2 with this type of heater. I need to determine how the control cables are routed and the proper orientation for the levers attached to the dash.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:05 am

All +2 heaters have two controls, one for distribution and one for temp. The temp control does not turn the water off but mixes variable amounts of hot and cold air to provide the temp required. If you have an odd ball it must have been an after market fitment expedient in the absence of a readily available unit at the time. Sorry but that is the only explaination I can come up with.
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:50 am

As the heater box is a Smiths unit made for Ford and modified apparently by Lotus it seems certain to be a factory fitting.

It certainly appeared original. The water valve is certainly used on the "baby Elan".

The workshop manual and parts book both show identical units and they are different to the one in my car.

Is anyone aware of a different heater supplied in federal / U.S. cars?

Bob[/i]
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: