PUMPING PETROL ON STARTING

PostPost by: tonycharente » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:29 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a RHD 1969 ELAN S4 SE FHC on Stromberg carbs. If I leave the car for a week or more between using it, I have to churn the engine for ages before it will start, and I think this because I am having to pump petrol through because (presumably) the carbs are empty. I think this because once I've churned it for a while it starts without fail and also because if I only leave it for a few days it starts instantly without churning, just like a modern car. There is no sign of any petrol leaks. The petrol pump has been replaced, and once started it runs perfectly with no signs of fuel starvation.

My questions:
(1) Is this "normal" - on Strombergs they're all like that?

(2) Should there be any kind of one-way valve in the fuel line?

(3) Any other suggestions, please?

Many thanks,
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 am

Tony
The carbs emptying of fuel over time is very common on Webers and Dellortos. Strombergs will be no different.
The fuel either drains back to the tank, evaporates or seeps somewhere.
Unless you fit an electric fuel pump ( which I think is worth doing) you will have to crank the engine to get the mechanical fuel pump to fill the carbs.
Ahh the joys of classic motoring.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 am

Tony,

I to have an S4 Stromberg and it is the same. I am considering an electric pump and pressure regulator. The cranking is a bit annoying.
It must evaporate.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:53 pm

I have the same issue with my Webers, and they're not leaking. However, I'm a bit of a purist, so I'll stick with the mechanical fuel pump.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, FL
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:12 pm

And fit electronic ignition...... though it is slightly off topic, this might be a reason.
At least it'll alleviate the cranking effort needed, which is never too good for the life of the battery life and the starter.
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Exactly the same experience with Dell 'Ortos. Give it full throttle while spinning it over on the starter for a few seconds as this reduces the effort seen by the starter motor, then take your foot off the pedal and revert to normal cold-starting technique.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:22 pm

I have not had the usual problems this year. It may just be that the weather is mild or that I haven't filled up with fuel in November and used less than a tank. I have instead filled up a bit a few times. Fuel fresher??

Ian

Ps the real answer is use the car more - they always go then.
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:54 am

Hello Tony, do you use your choke? Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:14 am

Hello (again...) Eric,
Yes I do use my choke - there's no accelerator pump on Strombergs. I'll happily give it a try without the choke, but why did you ask this?
Thanks
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 am

I was curious, I too have the same symptoms with my Stromberg +2. I've never used the choke on that car as it doesn't help, even after extended non use. I crank the engine a bit if it's been sitting for weeks, then squirt starting fluid through a hole in the airbox while holding the throttle open. Get back in the car and vrrooomm, it fires up and idles fine without the choke. If I'm lucky enough to use the car daily it fires up almost instantly and drives away without choking.
My S1 with Webers will fire up quickly after sitting for weeks but only if I use the choke (no starter fluid needed). Both cars have orignal fuel pumps.
The +2's seem to have a fuel evaporate problem not shared with the two seat Elans.
Your idea of a one way shut off valve may be a solution but wouldn't it have to be near the tank and opened after the car has started?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Fit an electric fuel pump. My S4 has one fitted and if the car has been standing for a while it takes may be 10 secs after switch on for the carbs to fill up again. If you fit an electric fuel pump you must also fit a pressure regulator, a Filter King is the best option.

My S4 only needs the choke if the weather is cold. On a warm sunny day no choke is required and it starts first pull.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:35 pm

If the mechanical fuel pump is the problem, isn't it easier to try first pumping on the primer pump under the fuel pump? Given that the access to the pump is better than under my Dell'Ortos, as I can't really get to it without the requisite Lotus 4-jointed arms and spiderlike 6-jointed fingers....
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Thor,

most of the newer pumps do not have a primer lever. Presume you must have an older type. Sound idea though!

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Re the fitting of an electric fuel-pump: Clearly this would indeed solve the problem - it's what there is on my Excel and after a couple of weeks between starting it you get that nice reassuring ticking sound that stops after a few seconds. But I'd like to keep the car standard.....

Based on all the replies, it would seem that my "problem" is not a problem, but is perfectly normal. However it does seem to me that whilst the petrol in the carbs might evaporate, it might well also be that the petrol in the petrol pipe is draining back into the tank - I don't see how it could be evaporating from inside the pipe.... Hence my idea of stopping this with a one-way valve.

1964 S1 wrote:Your idea of a one way shut off valve may be a solution but wouldn't it have to be near the tank and opened after the car has started?

Yes, the one way valve would be mounted near the tank, but no need to open after the car has started - it would just allow flow in the one direction.

HAS ANYONE TRIED FITTING SUCH A VALVE, PLEASE?
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:36 am

I think a bit of cranking to start the car after it's been sat for a while is a good thing as it gets a bit of oil around the engine before it fires. I'm going to stick with my mechanical pump and extended cranking !

Steve
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: