Piston circlips

PostPost by: miked » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 pm

Bit of advice required.
I am building an Engine to about 135 to 140 bhp. When I picked up this engine it had really good bores with plus 15 perfect pistons. Looks like somone had done it and left it. Even the rings are un worn and mint.

I am ready to build have had all the other work done & balance etc and all new bits etc. The only thing I cant get hold of is some new circlips. The ones fitted are perfect but I thought it would be good practice to fit brand new. They are the round section wire type with the small turn back to extract.

I did send for some from QED but when they came they were wire but huge round cross section. They tell me that these type are no longer supplied.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I am tempted to use the old ones in case I get some ill fitting ones that do come a drift.

Mike :?
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:56 am

Mike

If your reusing your old pistons and gudgeon pins and the circlips that came with them are in perfect condition, not damaged when removed and fit properly into the grooves in the pistons then I see no reason not to reuse them

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks Rohan,

They have tension and do sit deep in the groove. I have asked a few suppliers and think I am pretty stuffed for these.

I will crack on. Nothing to hold me back now.

Mike :D
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:33 am

Mike
Can you identify the orginal maker of the pistons, there is usually some brand mark inside the head. They may be some help in locating a source for the original circlips.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:44 am

Mike,
I agree with Rohan on this. If your existing circlips snap nicely into place in their grooves they'll be fine.
They're not what you would call highly stressed parts.

Have a nice day.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: