Sevicing kit for AC pump

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:36 am

Morning and happy new year to all.

I am just about to fire up again with the restoration of the + 2 and am getting a list of a few more bits and bobs to order.
I wish to order a overhaul/service kit for the AC mechanical fuel pump whilst it's on the bench.
Problem I face is that kits I've seen for the pump online always say for Types U & F, mine has type G marked on the body although the vendors say they will fit.
Went to my local parts place and their kits were marked BD2 yet a cross reference article I have for spares for the Elan said repair kit is BD6.

One final one for today..........bloody handbrake set-up :wink: I've searched the archives but will mention it again.
I've fitted the stainless springs on the adjusment bar and all seems OK, but when I put the centralising strips in the pads just lock on the disc.

These strips are sometimes referred to as "springs" but they are just unforgiving solid lumps of mild steel...............do I really need to use them as well as the springs or has anyone junked them?

I will never ever use the H/brake as similar to my 7's and only want it to scrape through an MOT.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:56 am

Kenny
You need to trial and error fit the centralising strips (springs) by fitting them and then removing them and setting (gently bending) them in a vice and re-fitting until they hold the pads away from the discs....

John :wink:

P,S.
Don't junk them or you'll never get the hand brake working correctly....
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:10 am

:cry: Thought that may be the case. Thanks for the swift reply though John.

I've actually just come back in from the garage now, having just discovered another b0ll0ck I've dropped................I'll never again build a car from 10 boxes of bit's without instructions :wink:

Cheers,

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:01 am

Kenny,
Next time, buy a complete car, pull it apart (without taking any photo's), put it into boxes, leave it for ten years, send it overseas, lose one box of vital bits and then try and put it back together.
Regards Colin 68S4DHC.
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:42 pm

or even
"buy a complete car, pull it apart (without taking any photo's), put it into boxes, leave it for ten years, send it overseas, lose one box of vital bits" and then sell it to an unsuspecting romantic!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:57 am

Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi Mike, you have to show your elan in the gallery, it only has a shot of the interior. It may be shown elsewhere but I have not seen it. Nice job of taking pieces to finish. I'm partial to BRG with a yellow stripe. I just had a yellow stripe added to my BRG elan. It adds a lot to the elan look.
If I had the room and a willing wife I would restore another one for the fun of it. Once you have completed one, it all makes sense. Will you be doing another one?
Great job! Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: