Engine mounts

PostPost by: triumphelan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:54 pm

I have a judder whilst pulling away in low revs ,when I do a "boy racer" start I can`t feel it .
I have requested help on this subject before.
I have new engine/gerabox/diff mounts ,the propshaft has been reconditioned and all suppension bushes are ok ,new 3piece clutch and clutch system has new fluid and has been bleed
I am thinking that I may have some soft engine mounts although they feel ok .
What will the ride feel like with "racing " type engine /gerabox mounts for a daily driver
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:19 pm

Juddering might come from fresh clutch having slightly to "grind in" to pressure plate - or missalignment between both...
It seems to be pulsing tracktion between both, making the Engine shake.
A soft engine mount should not make the engine move frequently.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 am

John

What do you mean by "a new 3 piece clutch". also did you have the flywheel ground flat when you fitted the new clutch.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:59 pm

I fitted a new diaphram /friction plate & release bearing .The flywheel was not skimmed ,I checked it and it was flat ,with a straight edge across it I could not get a 0.001thou feeler gauge between the flywheel & straightedge
I have "beded" the clutch in ,untill smoke came off it
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:29 am

John

My clutch supply place always recommends having the flywheel ground to restore the original surface finish when fitting a new driven plate. Even if its flat the surface finish is important for smooth operation with a new driven plate. He guarrantees no judder if you do, if you dont he wont guarrantee it.

I have never "bedded" in a new clutch by overheating it until it smoked, and never heard of it being needed, so I dont really know if that has helped or contributed to your judder.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:12 pm

triumphelan wrote:I have "beded" the clutch in ,untill smoke came off it

:cry: I think that ruined it. I never heard of that procedure. In fact any 'bedding in' procedure requires gentle engagements for quite a few miles. Get the flywheel resurfaced as Rohan suggested and change out the motor mounts.
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:39 pm

gjz30075 wrote:
triumphelan wrote:I have "beded" the clutch in ,untill smoke came off it
I think that ruined it. I never heard of that procedure. '.

I have heard of it and I have done it (without sucess) and probally it makes it worse as blue (heat spots) appear on the surface (f/wheel & p/plate) with very fine cracks around them.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: