Oil slinger

PostPost by: vikebo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:18 am

Hi,

I have got a Twin Cam with a 691 M block with what I understand is a long stroke crankshaft.

The oil slinger on the crankshaft has got some marks from the timing chain. It seems like the chain has been chewing on the slinger all the way around as if the slinger is too close to the sprocet.

I found this thread decribing a similar problem with the oil slinger:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12888

I have not had the crank out of the engine before, so I am sure I have not destorted the oil slinger. However, I do not know what may have happened before I got the car/engine. I am replacing the sprocet with a new one from QED, and they both look the same, so I am confident I have the correct sprocet.

I guess I can make the oil slinger a bit deeper so it will not make contact with the chain, but I find this a bit strange...

Any ideas? I am not missing a washer or somthing which should be placed between the sprocet and the oil slinger...?

Eivind
vikebo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: charles jackson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:01 pm

the oil slinger has been fitted the wrong way round.

regards - Charles
charles jackson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bobashton » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Eivind,

I'm the guy who recently started the string about the oil slinger, in that mine was trapping the timing chain against the sprocket when the cover was screwed on. Unfortunately I failed to check this until after I had fitted the sump and was about to put the head on.
I'm not sure how it it happened but I must have accidentally flattened it out - perhaps by storing something heavy on top of it when dismantling. Anyway, it does not have any washer between itself and the sprocket and the dished profile faces away from the sprocket and effectively covers the oil seal, presumably to reduce the chance of leakage. If damaged they are cheap and readily available from the usual outlets but rather than remover the front cover again, I re profiled mine in situ after removing the sump and using a small hammer and chisel or flat balded screwdriver.
Hope this help, if anything is unclear then please get back to me.

regards,

Bob
bobashton
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vikebo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:15 am

Thank you for your replies.

It is (was) not the wrong way, I do not think that would be easy to do due to the dished shape of it.

I mentioned it to the man who will balance the crank and flywheel. He said it is not unusual, and not a problem. Guess I will just reshape it myself like you did Bob.

Eivind
vikebo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:29 am

I have seen lots of slingers marked from the t/chain both T.Cam and Xflow and they were definitely not the wrong way round, I've even seen one that was nearly cut through, if its very bad replace but I have used them if its not too bad.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: