Head bolt length and can the valves collide with each other

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the length of a head bolt should be? Mine are 14.5 cm from the bolt shoulder and 16 cm total length. The reason that I ask is that they only screw into the block about 1.5 cm which is half of the threaded length. that does not seem like enough to me. They have quite meaty washers. I am about to put the head back on and want to avoid another blown head gasket.

Also I noticed while measuring the tappet gaps with the head off, if an inlet valve is fully open and you fully open an exhaust valve they get very close. Can they actually hit?

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:26 pm

There are a couple of types of head bolts,the "waisted type" and the earler non waisted type but I dont know if there are different lengths.
I just got one out and I measure 14cms from under the built in washer to the end (see pic)
As regards the valves, I dont think they touch if everthing is standard but if you have bigger valves or higher lift cams then they could BUT this can also depend on how high/low the valve is sitting in its seat. If the seat is recessed deeper then it may not, when I do tappit shims with the head off I only have one cam in at a time as I have had some valves touching and its easier to not even have to worry about it.
Attachments
ebay stuff 061.JPG and
Last edited by types26/36 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Why dont you just drop the bolts through the head, allow for the gasket and measure how much it protrudes then work out if it will nip the head taking into consideration how far it goes into the block.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Yes the valves can touch if the cams are timed wrong. If the cams are timed right then the valves should not touch.

Also half to 3/4 the threaded length engaged to threads seems about right to me.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: