Headlamp flashing

PostPost by: Jonty5speed » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:44 am

Does anyone know where I can find a description of the workings of the headlamp flashing system using the dipstick stalk on a Plus 2? There's a very brief mention in the workshop manual but it only states that this facility is available on cars made after May '72 (mine's November '72) and it's not shown on the wiring diagram - or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Jon
1972 Red Plus 2 S130/5
Jonty5speed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Jon,

Mine's an S130/5 from November '72 too ! Don't you just love the simpler SINGLE fuse box wiring ?! This was one of my requirements when I was looking to buy a car...

It's in the Workshop Manual on the +2S130 wiring diagrams (Federal & non-Federal) - look for the little switch just above the 'triangular' Dip Switch. It is shown as a switched brown wire from the feed side of the Lamps Switch to the Main Beam (blue/white wires) 'terminal' on the Dip Switch.

When I last dismantled the Dip Switch (!), I looked at the headlamp flasher arrangement too. The wire on the flasher part of the switch had broken off, so I reconnected it - still no flashing headlamps !

Aha! I've just noticed from the wiring diagram that the only way the headlamps can flash AND be in the 'up' position is if the Dip Switch is in the Main Beam position. Perhaps I will try that tomorrow !! Thanks for the 'inspiration' :wink:

Has anyone out there got a headlamp flash that works ? If so, is it any good ?

Best wishes,
:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:26 pm

In answer to your questions Matthew, no and no.

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon May 01, 2006 7:49 pm

For anyone who's interested (no one by the look of it!), my headlamp flash now works and is quite effective. :D

As I surmised, the dip switch HAS to be in the MAIN BEAM position for the solenoid valve to operate & raise & flash the lights. Very usable, especially when compared to the standard Elan setup without a solenoid valve - by the time I've found the switch and remembered to just pull & not twist it, and the pods have been sucked open, the moment is usually past....

Another brilliant piece of Lotus engineering ! :D

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jonty5speed » Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks Matthew, however it looks like this will have to be sorted later as a rather ominous rattle coming from the engine developed on the way in to work this morning :(
1972 Red Plus 2 S130/5
Jonty5speed
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: