Twincam Stainless Down Pipes

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Gents,
Just got a set of "dou... @" twincam stainless steel downpipes from my usual supplier only to find the fit is, to say the least absolutley terrible. None of the holes lineup, the flanges are not square and to add insult to injury the two part system hit in the middle. Its lucky I have the engine on the bench to prefit every thing. Anyway can anyone give me the make of a GOOD exhaust system manufacturer that does them in standard spec and in stainless?

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:25 pm

I recent "trial fit" a set of these stainless headers to my +2. I was sending them out to receive a Jet-Hot coating. Two header tubes touched and the down pipe part of the headers contacted the engine block/oil sump area. After the headers were torqued down, I CAREFULLY used an oxy/acetalene torch and prise bars to reshape the bends into proper alignment. It was a simple task as the body has yet to be installed onto my rolling chassis and I had an assistant. If you are installing in a car that is assembled then use great care in shielding the body and ancillaries from the heat of the torch. If you are uncomfortable with this procedure a new set from another manufaturer may fit better.
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman3 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Mark,

It would be nice to know who your supplier was.

Colin
elanman3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:44 pm

Mark,
I bought a set of dou... stainless mainfolds for my Sprint at the Classic Car Show in Birmingham last year (as a spare since they were on special offer - but still expensive) from the manufacturer. I have just looked at them, the quality does look pretty bad, not at all what I expected and certainly not exactly 'free flow'. I used to think they were a good quality manufacturer but.... I think I will give them a call next week, my original mild steel mainfold is much better made!
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:31 pm

Hi,
Anyone tell me where I can get even good mild steel ones then and are they the same type as used on a Europa?

chhers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: