Twin Cam Help Needed

PostPost by: grantura » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi
I am searching for help in finding articles and peoples basic knowledge of the lotus twin cam engine from the lotus elan. I am a mature student studying mechanical engineering. Having had an Elan +2 in the past which met with a sad end when the engine externally combusted! I have decided to write a paper on this legendary engine, its origins, flaws, ways the engine layout could have been changed in the design period and what can be done now to rectify the (the twin weber over distributor) problems.
Any help will be gratefully received
thanks

Kevin

please reply either here of by e-mail \[[email protected]\][email protected]\[/EMAIL\]
grantura
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:36 am

Kevin, your best bet is to read the Miles Wilkins book "Lotus Twin Cam Engine". I'm sure this will answer many of your questions.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:36 am

Hi Kevin

I am a mechanical engineer wih a passion for the twin cams having rebuilt many over the last 30 years and having spent many hours developing my engines for competition.

Always happy to discuss any specific issue with its design and development. The Wilkins book is a good reference to the engines history and development and is good about rebuilding a standard engine. However engine development has moved on and there are lots of options not covered by the Wilkins book these days.

Regards
Rohan

Elan S4 FHC
Elan Plus 2S 130/5
Esprit S1
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:33 pm

Rohan's right about the development. Much has changed from the TC's inception, or even from the point of its demise. You mentioned, as an example, the webers over the distributor as an issue but I'd be curious to know, and I'm sure you don't know the answer at this point but will with your research, at what point do you feel the twin cam will no longer be the Lotus twin cam but some completely new engine or is that the raison d'etra of your paper anyway. :rolleyes: Good luck and keep us posted.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grantura » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:24 pm

thanks guys,
i bought the book you recommended from amazon, but am still awaiting delivery, its an interesting point Greg about the engine no longer being a lotus engine, there's two sides to every argument, it would be interesting to know what people think, what Lotus themselves would say? from a purist point of view any change is bad, but, if anyone belived in engineering to make things better surely it would be Colin Chapman. i myself am not a classic car purist as such but have to draw the line at period modifications. what u think? :unsure:

thanks again

Kevin
grantura
New-tral

Total Online: