Correct distributor & casting info

PostPost by: promotor » Fri May 31, 2024 9:50 pm

elanman999 wrote:Al,
I have no idea why the PO bought the new distributor but I know from the +2 I used to own that dizzys with a high mileage on them are useless.
Yes my Elan, obviously not quick by modern standards, but with a torquey motor it is nice to drive. Above all it’s just so driveable.
Yes the Emerald ECU was set up on their RR and gave 144BHP and 125lbft. That’s corrected to at the crank figures with the air filter in place.
John.

If it was done @ Emerald you'll have got the best job possible out of them! Sounds lovely!

tonyabacus wrote:Al
Interesting info about your Aldon distributors, I thought I had checked everywhere round the distributor for a code, but will have a further look. The code I gave originally is reasonably clear, but it is right against the block and awkward to get to it with even with a mirror

However it has now got my curiosity going, so will have a final look. Thanks for all your input and for digging out those distributors to check for me. I have long ceased to be amazed at the depth of knowledge by some on the Forum if one is prepared to askfor help.
Tony

No problem - I was working on the distributors so it wasn't much trouble to look. I've had plenty of help on here in the past - it is one of the best forums around for Lotus advice.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:49 am

Al
There is a further stamping on the distributor body but very difficult to find being so close to the block. The code is 08/79 which I am guessing is a date code but that is it, no other codes. So I think you are correct that the body of the distributor was used by removing the vac advance and changing the internals as needed,

I would be surprised if the internals of something like an MGB distributor would be a direct match for the cams considering the power/torque outputs, do you concur?
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:45 pm

There is a further stamping on the distributor body but very difficult to find being so close to the block. The code is 08/79 which I am guessing is a date code but that is it, no other codes. So I think you are correct that the body of the distributor was used by removing the vac advance and changing the internals as needed,

I would be surprised if the internals of something like an MGB distributor would be a direct match for the cams considering the power/torque outputs, do you concur?
Tony

I really don't know - you wouldn't think it could work but if I remember correctly people used to fit Lotus Twincam distributors to Cortina 1500gt's as an "upgrade", and that's quite a different combustion chamber shape (although the bottom ends were basically the same so some parity may have helped).
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:59 pm

Al
I am starting to think that someone used the 45D4 body and swapped all the internal springs and weights etc to match the spec of the engine, including the gear rather than the peg drive.

I think your thoughts have helped bring me to that conclusion. It started out as a check driven by curiousity and I think that is where I will leave it as the engine runs well enough, so thanks again for your input, much appreciated.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: geni » Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:15 am

et qu'en pense "Doctor distributors " !!!
and what Doctor Distributors ?
geni
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:08 am

I am starting to think that someone used the 45D4 body and swapped all the internal springs and weights etc to match the spec of the engine, including the gear rather than the peg drive.

I think your thoughts have helped bring me to that conclusion. It started out as a check driven by curiousity and I think that is where I will leave it as the engine runs well enough, so thanks again for your input, much appreciated.
Tony

Tony,

You're welcome.
Avoiding the temptation to tinker is one of those problems I rarely manage and it's not always for the best! Sounds like the engine is a good one and is doing well so someone has set it up well by the sounds of it.

Regards.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:13 am

All, for what its worth, most distributors I have come across while rebuilding old cars have been clapped out in one way or another.

Main drive bearings worn, bob weights flopping around all over the place on their pegs, cam bearings loose on the main shaft, weights and springs of unknown parentage.

If your dizzy is working well for you, then great, but if you were rebuilding the engine I would strongly recommend either getting the dizzy rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing and can set the appropriate advance curve, or put it on the shelf for the next owner and buy a modern electronic equivalent - I have been very impressed by the 123ignition programmable distributors.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: