Hepolite Pistons drain holes

PostPost by: promotor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:36 pm

ivan.wood wrote:I am now thinking the new pistons may not be Lotus and possibly for the standard Ford 1600 engine, that used the same block, as the rings are FOMOCO which I believe is Ford Motor Company?

I will get my original pistons measured as they only have light scuffing on the skirt and seem to have about the same amount of play in the bore as the new ones. Unfortuately my micrometers only go to 3" so will have to find a machine shop to check them.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The piston rings in genuine Lotus Hepolite pistons had FoMoCo written on them - that is because Lotus borrowed those piston rings from another Ford car that used those rings.

dsc02730.jpg and
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:51 pm

They look exactly like mine with the discolouration on the piston plating. Do yours have 2 or 4 holes per side?

Thanks
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:25 pm

ivan.wood wrote:They look exactly like mine with the discolouration on the piston plating. Do yours have 2 or 4 holes per side?

Thanks

They have two holes per side, and have part number 17193C which basically means thick top oil ring, small valve cut-outs and full length gudgeon pin.

HTH

dsc02732.jpg and
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Just to close the loop on this one I had my old pistons measured and they are almost identical to the NOS pistons I got so I am going to use the old pistons with the new rings. That should give me a smoother engine with minimum performance change.

Thanks
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:14 am

The old style pistons with the massive piston rings tend to wear the ring lands resulting in excessive ring float up and down in the piston before wearing the actual piston to bore clearance so ensure these were checked before reusing the old pistons.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: