Engine CC

PostPost by: robertverhey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:40 am

Why not shorten the trumpets? Search ebay with "weber trumpets". Lots of options there, including gauze / mesh ones. This may create enough room for an air cleaner arrangement of some sort......
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:50 am

Clearly the clearance is very limited, especially for the rearmost inlet, and this is true even with the Elan application. However perhaps angling the carbs a few degrees, then angling the trumpets a few degrees both upward & forward could be done & combined those changes would allow enough space. I have no idea if angling the inlet forward about 20 deg or so would affect airflow & performance much, if at all. Of course, all inlets should be done equally. Perhaps this is something that could be investigated for the Elan application as well. Does anyone have any knowledge or data that would suggest if a mild radius would have a significant detrimental effect on air flow? It may be more significant in all out race engines.

I suspect that the conversion Rohan mentioned began with a Stromberg head without the long runners, and that may be the most practical solution, if more expensive.

Jay
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:21 am

John at Omnitech converts Strommberg manifold heads to Webers by machining off the cast in place Stromberg inlet runners and bolting on a new Weber manifold.. This new bolt on manifold he normally makes the same length as the original cast in place Weber inlet runners. He has developed a shorter version and thus when you bolt it on the overall inlet is shorter than the orginal cast in place inlets.

You can also run without the inlet trumpets and that would give you enough room to fit something in terms of a aircleaner. You loose a little without the trumpets but you will be loosing something already with the trumpets so close to the inner wing.

I dont know if weber make some no length trumpet fittings as you still need to fit something to replace the trumpet base that fits in side the carb. I made myself a set at one stage just by cutting of the trumpets off an old set when I was experimenting with trumpet and airbox dimensions.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:20 pm

How about a Yorkshire Elbow which is a right-angle pipe bend and is quite short. It shouldn't be too difficult to fit, perhaps sacrificing the existing ram pipe, and a filter of some sort would fit on the upper end. The rear cylinder Yorkie would have to be slanted, of course, or they all could be for a forward ram effect. :) I did something similar in the sixties.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:43 pm

rgh0 wrote:John McCoy has been developing a shorter inlet manifild to use with his Stromberg to Weber conversion heads in search of more high rpm hp but it may be useful to give you more space in the anglia.

cheers
Rohan

Rohan,
That is interesting. I have not spoken to John for a couple years. At the time he was reluctant to change any of the overall inlet manifold geometry out of fear that his modified heads would never be accepted by race authorities or organizers. If he is looking for more top end power it is probably not for street engines.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:32 pm

yes I think John is looking for more hp in the 7000 to 10000 rpm range. Not for your typical street engine that. i dont know what race classes the engines are aimed for but I presume they are comfortable with the mod.

Technically it would be legal in my class for example which allows modification of cylinder heads by machining and the substitution of the inlet manifold with a period manifold of the same style.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:11 am

Rohan,
In the US we have some clubby events where the rules are casual, to say the least. A few years ago I was speaking to a fellow who was at an event famous for the organizers accepting Series 1 Lotus Elites, but not Series 2 (while accepting Spridgets of all years). I was astounded to find that his entry of an obviously Series 2 Elite (left hand drive) with 1460 cc FWB and Ford T9 5 speed conversion was accepted. Hopefully John has found a market of reasonable size for his short inlet runner heads.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi, until you find a permanent solution, I would recommend that you use 13mm trumpets, and the Webcon trumpet filters that are widely available on Ebay and direct from them.
They will save your motor, I personally wouldn't run without filters for any length of time.
I and a few of my friends have used these trumpet filters for a long tome now on various cars, and they're good. They are specifically for cars where clearance is an issue.

elans3
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Lovely job on the Anglia, it was my first car and I dropped a 1500GT pre X/flow in mine and used the struts and discs from a Ford Classic, plus the obligatory Carlos Fandango super wide wheels and flared arches.

What was that advert that mocked Carlos Fandango wheels, a cigar advert I seem to recall???

Anyway could you post some more photos of the folding caravan please? I have a 70's possible 80's French one but I adore the styling of yours!!!!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:56 pm

folding_bloke wrote:I'm looking at putting a wire mesh grill over the ram stacks, which would fit in my engine bay. I suppose I could then put a fine mesh material over them (womens tights, type of thing) to filter the air a bit more.

Any ideas?

Wire mesh is just a waste of time and the tights will get snagged on the valves on the way in.

Surely straightforward pancake filters and short trumpets would fit
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: folding_bloke » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm

robertverhey wrote:Why not shorten the trumpets?

Not recommended for my style of driving I'm afraid. The length of the trumpets effects the running of the car, and I want torque not revs. My guys have said the trumpets I have are spot on for my purposes.

AHM wrote:[Surely straightforward pancake filters]...would fit

Nope, fraid not.

elans3 wrote:Hi, until you find a permanent solution, I would recommend that you use 13mm trumpets, and the Webcon trumpet filters that are widely available on Ebay and direct from them.

I've just purchased some Webcon filters so I'll have those fitted shortly.

Chancer wrote:Lovely job on the Anglia, it was my first car and I dropped a 1500GT pre X/flow in mine and used the struts and discs from a Ford Classic, plus the obligatory Carlos Fandango super wide wheels and flared arches.

What was that advert that mocked Carlos Fandango wheels, a cigar advert I seem to recall???

Anyway could you post some more photos of the folding caravan please? I have a 70's possible 80's French one but I adore the styling of yours!!!!

I did plan on going the 1500GT route but it sort of went a bit mad!

The Classic struts I did have on it were horrible. Because they were the best available at the time I think people still go down that route nowadays but I was so glad when I put on the Mark 2 Cortina Milton struts, so much better! Sorted out all the problems.

The Carlos Fandango cigar advert was for Panama cigars. Here it is:
http://youtu.be/nqqZ28m8uCo

For the Portafold pics, probably best if I direct you to my website: http://www.portafold.co.uk
Lots of pictures and info on there, and info on our National Gathering coming up in August when we're hoping to have over 50 with their assorted tow cars. http://www.portafold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=532
folding_bloke
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 pm

I would not get to worried about the length of the trumpets. While they have a small affect over small rev band ranges the overall affect is minimal.and going to a shorter or no length trumpet in a road car is probably not going to have a noticeable affect on torque. If you really want more torque then there are better ways to get it ( e.g. high compression, short duration high lift cam, long stroke crank, better exhaust headers)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Very nice. I spotted this at the Goodwood Breakfast Club, another twinced Anglia.

image.jpg and
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sevenhead » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:10 pm

I would use these on a temporary basis. They seem to work fine on my Seven but the engine is just a mule.
http://www.webcon.co.uk/shop/shopexd.asp?id=43

For long term I would go for very short trumpets and see if you can fabricate a cold air box (plenum) with a forward facing inlet. Attach a hose running forward with a K&N cone filter at the end. I believe the Elan used a similar system (remote filter).

Beautiful car and I love the engine bay. Looks like you are trying to hide the engine!
sevenhead
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: