Engine mounts again

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:03 pm

I just looked at Spyders website and they list mountd for Plus 2 as a pair and, separately, carb side for the Elan. So it looks like the Plus 2 ones are the same each side. Which is good 'cos I ordered them as such!

I did mention to TTR that I had a Spyder chassis and if I neede handed ones and they said some do and some don't and left it for me to decide.. They didn't seem to think they wouldn't fit.

Fingers crossed.

I'd be interested to see your pics Stuart, and if anyone else has any of the Plus 2 also please.
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 pm

The engine mounts are not always easy tell to apart (high & low) after they have been in use (height wise) but the shape of the metal part that mounts to the engine is different (half moon cut out) the thread below has a pic in it of the l/h & r/h mounting
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14152
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:51 pm

Ah right, thanks Brian. Now I remember, when I replaced them on my last car (Lotus chassis) they both looked like the ones on the left in that picture, so must have been the same.

I found an old post about mounts with a reply by Rohan. He said that the Spyder chassis has the mounts bolted the other way round with the four bolts going into the chassis. They are also mounted the other way up for the failsafe effect to work.
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:45 pm

My Sprint has an early Spyder chassis and uprated mounts that I?ve assumed to be from TTR.
The RH & LH chassis mount points are exactly the same height.
The RH mount lifts the engine 15mm higher than the LH side.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:40 pm

bill308 wrote:I believe it is the Webber/Delorto version of the baby elan that use the tall engine mounts on one side.

Oooops!!! Yes, of course it is - Bill you are right - sorry! :oops:
The Strombergs stick UP into the bonnet so don't need to be pushed up any further... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:40 pm

Here follows (hopefully) pictures of engine mounts removed from a '71 Sprint fitted with Webers and an early Spyder chassis.

The first picture clearly shows in silhouette, that the right-hand mount is offset (by approximately 12mm). However there is virtually no physical size difference between the mounts.

I replaced these with TTR's reinforced mounts (because one had begun to debond from the metal). I checked the old invoice, and it's clearly marked as "standard reinforced mounts". I therefore deduce that standard mounts will fit the early Spyder chassis (at least for the Sprint !).

Nb: The exhaust-side mount has spacers between the mount and the block.

........ and while I've been checking this, I've just noticed a worrying sign of oil leaking down the block below and between no 2 and 3 exhaust manifold branches......... bugger, just when I thought all was getting sorted !!!!

Regards,
Stuart.
Attachments
IMG_0730.jpg and
IMG_0729.jpg and
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks Stuart
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:24 am

I don't use the tall mount expensive lotus mount with the micky mouse ears (on the right in Stuarts Photos) on the spyder chassis. On the
S2 Elan with flat bonnet I have a weber head on a tall deck (+7/16 inch) block. I don't have clearance issues. The S4 with Spyder had the Domestic Stromberg on standard block with power bulge and the stock (2) cheap mounts worked fine in that Elan too. My S4 Coupe has yet to have the holes that the latches catch on cut so I can't say for certain that its going to work but thats a flat bonnet with the tall deck also. I read the Spyder instructions and I thought that is speced the less costly mounts but I can't find it in there documentation. It says "On both sides, use the standard rubber engine mounting and attach these by there 4 mounting holes to the engine bay and ""not the motor"". To retain the failsafe facility of the mounting it must be fitted in the inverted position".

anyway what ever works for you , use it.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:43 pm

I have attaached a photo of my Spyder +2 chassis before the engine trans went in. I hope the mounts were installed properly in the photo. I do not seem to remember having to change them.
Attachments
emntspy.jpg and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks Bob, looks like they may be easier to get at than the original ones
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: