Bonnet Swing Protrusion into engine bay

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi all, just thinking out loud.... I'd like the bonnet on my plus 2 to lift upwards and out at the leading edge (rather than just a simple pivot). The leading edge is well forward of the pivot which translates into a lot of protrusion into the engine bay when the bonnet is opened. Anyone got any bright ideas on this one?? I'm wondering if thinking along these lines lead to the Workmate?

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Alex » Tue May 17, 2011 9:33 am

Why?
Alex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 am

Alex, most bonnet that are hinged at the front have the hinges right on the leading edge. Think Triumph 2000 as an example. When the bonnet is opened, there is no protrusion at all into the engine bay.

For the Plus 2 (but not the Elan), Lotus chose a pivot well back from the leading edge of the bonnet. So everything forward of the pivot goes down into the engine bay when the bonnet is opened.

The areas that I'm considering are 1/ increased inner guard clearance (for 185/70 R13 tyres, 2/ clearance for puller fan behind nose mounted radiator 3/ direct path for top hose feed for nose mounted radiator. I have work around solutions for 1-3, but a more elegant solution would be to change the bonnet movement.

PS, think of the quite elegant hinge solutions that exist for UPVC windows, Lift, Tilt and Pivot motions.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 am

gerrym wrote:Hi all, just thinking out loud.... I'd like the bonnet on my plus 2 to lift upwards and out at the leading edge (rather than just a simple pivot). The leading edge is well forward of the pivot which translates into a lot of protrusion into the engine bay when the bonnet is opened. Anyone got any bright ideas on this one?? I'm wondering if thinking along these lines lead to the Workmate?

Regards
Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I'm with you on your thinking & if your body is in a stripped down state then you could re-engineer it & the bonnet with all of the required stiffening to carry it out.
Lots of cars use parallelogram type hinge mechanisms on the bonnets.
Maybe a trip to a scrapyard will yield something ready made & usable?
Spring assisted opening may be a lot more difficult considering the loading that will have to be absorbed by both parts so a bonnet prop may also be necessary.
Sounds like a big undertaking & maybe a glance into "Heath Robinson" my turn up some other solutions :lol:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi John, some good points. I agree that a bonnet stay is going to be required, given the lack of any significant structural capacity in the Plus 2 bonnet.

Another obstruction I could have mentioned is the air trunking (induction). Spyder routes this via the front inner fender because of the bonnet obstruction.

Anyway, any brain storming ideas?

Heres mine

1/ Lift off bonnet (use pannel pins to secure)
2/ Window (upvc) mechanism
3/ Parallel motion (as per John's suggestion)
4/ extra link between bonnet hinge and bodywork (stabilised by friction?/ratchet?)

regards
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Gerry,

Several possible solutions here......

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/stays-for-cupboards-desks-boxes.html

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman