distributor allignement

PostPost by: ez9 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:41 am

while looking at the workshop manual I've found a sheet with some manual notes probably created by the previous manual owner about the importance of realign the distributor to avoid arcing / misfiring.

is it true? does it apply to any distributor or only some specific model?

Distrbutor-allignment.jpg and
Distributor notes
ez9
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:10 pm

The first sentence is correct.

The second sentence depends on where you have the leads positioned in the cap.

The third sentence depends on where you have the leads positioned in the cap but are usually parallel to the engine.

The forth sentence should not be the case if quality leads are used.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:51 pm

Distributor position in the engine is largely irrelevant.
Everything hinges on if at 10degrees before TDC the rotor arm, and its position turning anti-clockwise, is going to fire at that moment No1 cylinder!
So all you need to remember is that the distributor body needs to be positioned and correspond accordingly to which plug lead and for which cylinder have been fitted into which hole in the distributor cap to create a 1,3,4,2 firing order that in turn creates plug leads that all route nicely and clear all obstacles that might be in the way.

Personally I would always position the LT lead connection in the distributor body in the centre top position and have the rotor arm firing No1 cylinder in the 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock plane but it really doesn't matter.

I would tear up the piece of paper...It will only confuse you if you do ever re-time your engine.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:30 pm

Hi all
I have repositioned my 43d4 dizzy to give the best clearance to no1 inlet flange which gives me better access to unclip the cap by hand. Iam still thinking of a method of tightening the clamp with +2 bonnet on that is achieved by hand.
Little things to improve maintenance

John
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: