Adjusting Electric Headlight Pods

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:00 pm

I am installing a set of the Kelvedon/Spyder electric light pods in a Federal +2 (1970).
Wiring is correct, the motor in the right place and the bar between the pods in place.
I am looking at adjusting the length of the pivot bar and the place where it attaches to the bar between the light pods. The rubber stops are adjusted
Is this a trial and error or is there some mathematical formula/calculation that will save me a bunch of time?
Most of the posts seem to be relating to the wiring, which thankfully isn’t my problem … at present.

Thanks much for any guidance.
Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:39 pm

Not sure what components are used with your electric motor kit. I used a Miata/Mx5 motor and did have ro relocate the pivot hole on the cross tube lever arm. Rather than drill a bunch of holes or cut a slot, I made up a flat piece of steel strap with a bolt welded to the strap. Clamped the strap at various positions on the lever arm until I had the correct ratio of motor to arm. When I found the right spot, I transferred the bolt location to the lever arm and drilled the hole in the arm. It did mean a couple of attempts to find the correct location, but moving the strap on the arm could be done without taking things apart to adjust the position by just reaching up through the nose.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Thanks Rob, will post some pics and measurements.
Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:28 pm

I did the same kit in my '80 Federal Plus 2 and not, there is no formula or calculation that I am aware of. I just sort of 'eyeballed' it and only had to make minor adjustments from there.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:53 pm

When I fitted mine, I adjusted to where I thought it about right with everything just finger tight. I then manually rotated the motor using the knob. It is very low geared so it takes a lot of turns. Once through a cycle then tighten everything and do it one more time until satisfied. Once happy try it electrically.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:53 pm

Well I got it to work.
I basically put it together without the connecting bar, the using a straight bar, measured the distance between the motor lever at full extension and the opposite and with the pods up and down on the stops and the two ends of the lever coming off the bar between the pods, came up with an average of the four measurements and used that as the starting point and then trial and errored it. (Ended up around 9 1/8”)
Took me about 30 minutes and a lot of manual finger rolling of the motor before I got it close enough then tested with the power.
Wonderful … (:
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: