Headlight operation 72 US Sprint

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:36 am

Hello all,
Long time since I drove or owned a Sprint. About 25 years. I just got my Sprint and am fixing a few things. I am installing the Spyder electrical headlight pod system. The instructions say to put an on/off switch where the vacuum switch is on the dash. So I am about ready to put power to the whole thing and I removed the under dash trim. I just pulled the vacuum switch and I see there are other wired going to it. When I pull it, I hear a click, maybe the relays for the lights?

What are the two "light" switches supposed to do? I see the right hand one turns on the parking or running lights. I cant see if the headlights are coming on when I pull the vacuum switch as the pods are down.

And I have no one here to raise them to check. So I need someone that has a US Sprint to tell me.

If the vacuum switch also operates the headlights, I may have to just put the on/off for the headlight pods in the glove box. Anyone done this conversion? Anyone have any ideas?
Attachments
1000001466.jpg and
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:48 am

Ok, had someone help me determine that the vacuum switches on the headlights.

So what do I do? How do I raise the headlight pods? What have others done? Switch in the glove box? Under the dash somewhere? Open to ideas.

Tony
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:13 am

Tony, if you still have the stock wiring, here's a pic of the Federal Sprint wiring for the headlights (courtesy of
Phil Harrison). In stock form, the pull switch does two functions: releases vacuum and electrically
switches on the headlights
file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/Cars/Lotus%20reference/Federal_Failsafe_Headlamp_Wiring_Schematic_V1.10.pdf

Also, I attached a picture of the oem arrangement. Shown is the backside of the plate where the two
microswitchs attach and are activated by a cam on the vacuum part of the switch. Hopefully, at least the
wire colors can get you pointed in the right direction.

Edit: I also attached a pic of how the two micro switches are attached, showing the 'on/off' orientation. Ignore
the vacuum switch itself. This is my adaption of a Corvette vacuum switch with the micro switches attached.
Attachments
DSC03807.JPG and
vacswitch4 (1).JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:08 pm

gjz30075 wrote:Tony, if you still have the stock wiring, here's a pic of the Federal Sprint wiring for the headlights (courtesy of
Phil Harrison). In stock form, the pull switch does two functions: releases vacuum and electrically
switches on the headlights
file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/Cars/Lotus%20reference/Federal_Failsafe_Headlamp_Wiring_Schematic_V1.10.pdf

Not sure if the pdf was attached Greg... here's the original post with the file - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30133
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:57 pm

Whoops, thanks Phil.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear