courtesy lights

PostPost by: JeffP » Mon May 27, 2024 8:07 pm

Still sorting electrics on my '69 Plus2 Elan. Do the door plunger type switches operate all 3 interior lights (front middle light, and the 2 side reading lights, OR do they only operate the front middle light?

How were the original rear reading lights grounded/earthed?

Many thanks
JeffP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon May 27, 2024 10:18 pm

The three lights are all supplied with Purple, Hot at all times, fused.

The three lights are all switched to ground with a daisy chain Purple/White loop.

The loop is also attached to the two plunger switches at the doors and the dash switch. All three switches are connected to ground on the other pole.

The way it works is if any of the three switches are grounded (door opened or dash switch in second on position), the daisy chain is grounded and all three lights come on.

The front light has a secondary three position sliding switch. It can be set to be always on, always off, or on when any of the three switches mentioned above are grounded. To accomplish this there is a third black ground wire running up the A pillar along with the aforementioned Purple and Purple/White conductors.

Wow, that was harder to explain than I expected! Anyway, let us know how you get on. :D

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu May 30, 2024 3:29 pm

Thanks for that, somebody asked me about my +2 at a car show few months ago as to why it had to have two plunger switches in the door and I guess that answers there somewhere in your explanation, but I think I figured out that one’s for the puddle lights? Is that why they have to have two thanks, Gordon.
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:26 am

Gordon Sauer wrote:Thanks for that, somebody asked me about my +2 at a car show few months ago as to why it had to have two plunger switches in the door and I guess that answers there somewhere in your explanation, but I think I figured out that one’s for the puddle lights? Is that why they have to have two thanks, Gordon.

I think so. Mine is a non-S and has no puddle lights and only one switch.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:16 pm

Pretty much like Veg says.

My ramblings above relate to the early cars with one door switch and no puddle lights, ‘door warning lights’, boot light, bonnet light or glove box light. Original poster has a ‘69, which I assumed is the same simpler configuration as my ‘69 build date Federal model.

My understanding is he is actually having difficulty with replacement interior lights (with integrated slide switches?) not working as expected. I can’t quite figure out his specific issue, so hopefully he will get it working and post results.

Although I have no direct experience with a Plus 2 with the additional lighting, the attached 130 S Non Federal diagram shows the logic. It appears the second set of door switches is for the “Door Warning Lights” and are switched to ground using a separate Purple/Red which connects to the ground side of the courtesy light door switches. Note Purple/Red is also used separately for each of the map, glovebox, boot and bonnet lights, which is actually the standard colour for these lights.

Edit to highlight the logic. Basically with this configuration putting the dash switch in the second on position will light up the interior lights but not the door warning lights. Opening a door will light up both the interior and door warning lights.

There is another configuration shown in other Plus 2 diagrams that I can’t quite figure out, as it appears to show both door switches grounding the Purple/White daisy chain. Perhaps there was a running change, and the two switches became kind of vestigial.

Question for folks with the S models with additional lighting. Is there two lights on each door, one a red ‘warning light’ on the door by the latch and another white ’puddle light’ on the lower edge of the door?

Cheers

Stu
Attachments
283F7A99-DF01-45C9-BE07-02831199A709.jpeg and
Blue circle shows ‘extra’ door switches for warning lights only switched to ground thru Purple/Red. Red circles show ‘original’ door switches that act on the Purple/White daisy chain for the interior lights.
Last edited by stugilmour on Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:26 pm

Here is a picture of the second configuration that I can’t quite make sense of. It appears to show two door lights per side. It also appears that they are all switched to ground using a Purple/White loop.
Attachments
8F230D65-8D1A-495B-A8B7-38594D34AB2A.jpeg and
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JeffP » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm still working on the issue, but have taken break to work on new door cards. My latest thinking is that the connections (to or in) my used VW Jetta lights I'm using as a replacement may be faulty. I'm waiting on an auto electrician pal to try and help me sort this issue and my two others issues that you may be able to help me with which are 1) how to wire in my headlamp flasher relay and flasher (i'e installed the Spyder headlamp lift conversion) and 2) my heater switch was working correctly and now it isn't?

My car is an early federal model but had only two fuses, and the courtesy lights are a front light in the roof and then two "reading lights in the rear. I actually call my car "quasi-federal", it has some but not all of the federal features. I think Mr Chapman sent slightly different cars to Canada than the US, since Canada lagged slightly behind in introducing regulations.

Many thanks
JeffP
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: