Spark plug wires for Ford Coil Pack

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed May 22, 2024 2:09 pm

I have attached a couple of pictures of my Ford Style coil pack supplied with my NoDiz system for my Lotus Twin Cam. I now need to purchase the HT spark plug leads. I was thinking I would just order Zetec leads, but not sure of some important details.

Burton references early and late coil packs in their lead listings for Ford Zetec (catalog page 86 has a description). They also reference different plug boots by Zetec model. Appears I have the later style coil pack usually referenced to a Zetec Black Top? Not sure the subtle difference in plug end boots (sealing and non-sealing is mentioned) matter if used on the TC?

Not sure what to order or if there is a difference in connection to the coil pack?

Can someone provide a part number, popular car model call up, or maybe a link, preferably in North America, for a suitable high quality spark plug wire set? Plan is to mount the coil pack where the distributor is presently mounted, so wire length required will be similar to stock. Hoping for a plug and play solution.

Thinking best to have 90 degree boots on the coil pack ends if possible, which appears to be typical in the Burton pictures of their Magnecor Black top set. Is this the set that will work?

https://www.burtonpower.com/ign-lead-se ... s18-8.html

Definitely not stuck on where I order from, just wanting something that will fit. Great if I could get a call up I could source on eBay or Summit Racing, or even better just purchase from my local speed shop.

Thanks in advance.

Stu
Attachments
61D0AE7F-6C6D-40E0-9EEE-EA53E32E7AD7.jpeg and
This shows the plug wire sockets.
9E2CA813-5F72-4F95-BF15-918B57F035D8.jpeg and
Coil Pack supplied by Motorsport Electronics for their NoDiz ignition package.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pm

I just put some new Taylors on mine, though the old Taylors measured fine.

The pickup in your coil looks like the odd style with the electrode projecting, otherwise just make your own?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:14 pm

Have a look in the magnecor catalogue. They may have a set that suits or can custom make what you need. Alternatively you can buy their cable and fittings and make your own.

https://magnecorusa.com/catalog/

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu May 23, 2024 2:45 am

Thanks Rohan. That supplier looks perfect. I should have thought I would need a custom set.

I found this brilliant Magnecor PDF form on their web site that is perfect for specifying my exact application without getting into the weeds of various boot and terminal configurations, let alone any special tools and skills that might be required to make them up myself.

https://magnecorusa.com/wp-content/uplo ... 1_fill.pdf

Figuring this will get what is needed

• Competition KV85 (Red) leads, 8.5 mm diameter.
  • Straight spark plug boot HT (red).
  • Ford 2nd generation coil pack boot, 90 degrees.
  • Set of four leads in following lengths (measured as per diagram 1): 22, 26, 26, 30 inches.

I will send off the request for quote and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:14 am

I was introduced to Magnecor leads many years ago be a local distributor expert ( long since retired) when he was building me a couple of custom distributors for my Elan. I have had the same leads on these 2 distributors for 30 years without issue.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:05 pm

I got custom ones from Magnacore for my Bosch similar coil. Work just fine
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri May 24, 2024 2:33 pm

It's a while ago now but I'm sure the leads from an early Fiesta were correct in terms of length and other requirements, including 90 degree connectors, and this is what I used on my Megajolt system.

I possibly obtained them from Triggerwheels as that's where most of the stuff came from including Ford coil pack and EDIS unit
Attachments
P1000289 - Copy.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri May 24, 2024 2:35 pm

jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon May 27, 2024 6:14 pm

Thanks for posting Jon. I saw those today when I was researching for my NoDiz thread under the Mods section.

Unfortunately the Trigger Wheels leads are for the Generation 1 coil pack and I already have a Generation 2 pack in hand.

I have posted the email response I just received from Magnecor, which is pretty encouraging. Going to order tomorrow after the US Memorial Day holiday weekend. Now that I actually have the coil pack mounted I will need to shorten all the leads a tad from the estimates I posted above.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53911&start=15

Cheers

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: