Horn wiring

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:31 pm

Before I start looking, I thought I would ask and perhaps that would help save me some time.

The horn started going off anytime I turned to the left. Quite annoying. I unplugged the relay temporarily.

I speculate that the earth wire from horn button has a bare/worn spot where it follows the steering shaft.
Before I start looking, most likely spots?

Thanks
Mark

66 Elan
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu May 02, 2024 7:11 pm

My experience is due to issues the contact ring and steering wheel area. So I'd start at the button and if nothing obvious remove the wheel.

The plastic the ring is mounted to is know to go brittle and break with age. If that happens it can move with the wheel and make contact with the outer column.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:25 pm

I took button and spring connector out- still did it. I will pop off wheel
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu May 02, 2024 7:56 pm

if somehow the steering wheel is pushed forward so that the hub can contact the shroud (grounded) then the horn will go... easy enough to test try with a piece of wire, not always easy to durably solve (esp. if you lend you car to enthusistic friends). The "collapsible" steering has a fixture to set the steering wheel height...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu May 02, 2024 7:57 pm

Hi mark,
I have just the same situation which started yesterday. I have disconnected the horn until I investigate it.
In the past this fault was caused by the rotating part of the steering wheel hub touching the stationary section as it turned. Push a small screwdriver into the gap to demonstrate it.
I moved the steering wheel back about 1mm to increase the clearance. I think I slackened the clamp at the steering rack to move it.
best of luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Fri May 03, 2024 12:26 am

Eric,
That was it! One of the screws holding the hub (looks non-original) was just touching the ring sometimes.

I happened to have kept a Europa wheel (for decades) and had it recovered a bit ago. I put it on, and works great. It is slightly smaller diameter, which feels pretty good so far.

Thanks!
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat May 04, 2024 8:15 am

Its usually the UJ that connects steering column and steering rack.
It comes loose and the steering column moves slightly so it then contacts the horn ring and makes a circuit.
I had same problem on my Sprint, horn sounding every time I turned
Its usually sorted by just tightening the UJ
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: