headlight wiring

PostPost by: gus » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:40 pm

Why do you want the headlights up when the sidelights are on?
I think my wiring diagram is what the factory does most of the 2 fuse and 3 fusebox cars
Most of the cars, AFAIK, do not have the flash feature
Which cars have a toggle switch for headlights? All the vacuum actuated lights needed the pull switch originally

Wiring diagrams I have are in 3 basic groups:
[early]LSL134 and 140 show headlight microswitches the appear to cover early what I would call chrome window switch cars
[mid]LSL 135/2 145,170, 177 178,179 181 have relays on the fender

[late]LSL 205, 211 have 4 fuses in the dash and no relays

I think the vast majority of cars produced fall into the [mid] category. The 2 late diagrams are both labelled S130, so a small percentage

So for the bulk of the cars, all the 3 fusebox, all Federal, I hazard a guess that all the the 9 black rocker switch cars, the diagram I posted should be correct.
It involves 3 wires going through the firewall for the headlights.
You can choose to use the self holding relay for sidelights or not.
My Excel puts the lights up with the parking lights and I find it annoying as hell.
When I rewired my car I followed the original 2 fuse logic, with the exception of the windows which I put on their own fuses. The headlights remain unfused. Of course I used teflon insulated wire, so one has to practically melt the copper out of the wire before the insulation degrades, so I tend not to worry
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:08 am

Gus

You're right. Correction. I will wire the pods to come up only when headlights (not the sidelights) are energized. My car originally had 2 fuses, a pull switch to raise the pods and a flash feature using the microswitch arrangement. Your diagram look the pretty much the same as mine as far as I can tell.
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: