Emerald EDIS

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:09 pm

Is anyone with an Emerald ECU using a 60-2 trigger wheel ?

If so, what pick up are you using - Hall Effect or VR?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:31 pm

Im using a 36 tooth trigger wheel and a Ford crank sensor if that helps
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:40 pm

Thanks Gav, but not really! I am using the same, but changing on the new engine.

The reason I ask is because I get many comments that VR sensors on 60-2 wheels 'can' get confused, especially at high RPM. and that Hall sensors are better, but Hall sensors I am told, do not like sharp edges on the trigger teeth...(??)

I should ask Karl, but I hate to bother him as he is always very busy.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:46 pm

I cheated - when I changed the TC to the Zetec, I reused all of the sensors and just used a different trigger wheel and crank sensor bracket.
I am shortly going to reverse back to the TC and will simply reverse the process and swap sensors and maps back.
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:18 pm

Can you let us know your experience and why you're going back to TC?
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:11 pm

Mike

I had a very powerful Zetec built up for competition use. My car spec wasnt standard so I was always going to be in a modified class so I thought Id stretch the limits a bit. The Zetec produced 225 BHP and loads of torque and with power all the way up the range was a really great package. I worked up a brake set up that worked really well and had great fun with it.

I was running on a very old Emerald M3DK ECU which doesnt have lambda so the slow running wasnt optimised and the Zetec really needs the lambda which I was going to fit but - my son is nearly of an age where he can get insurance for the Elan and I was worried that with the Zetec, there is a high risk of an unintentional serious accident

Having retired from competition now, I thought Id revert to the TC again - still on the Emerald ECU but this time, Im going to swap it out for an Emerald K3 (still an early model but with Lambda capability - a straight swap for the M3DK). It has capability for 3 maps so I can have a soft drive for my son and a harder drive for when he's ready by rotating a small wheel even with the engine running.

I previously ran the M3DK with the TC and it was completely reliable and had the reassurance that the risk of fuel fires is significantly reduced because the throttle bodies are hard fixed to the inlet manifold.
I am hoping that reverting to it but with the Lambda unit will make it fuel much better at lower revs (particularly in traffic. It wasnt bad at all before but as I had the K3 anyway, I thought Id use it.

I dug out the old TC map and put it onto the K3 (pretty easily) and asked Emerald to set up the lambda which they did while I was in the area. I will complete the swap and when Im ready to fire up, I'll arrange a teams call with Emerald so that they can run me through the set up process remotely and they can check out that everything looks good before I drive anywhere.

They are really helpful. Ive had teams calls with them before to check a map before I drove up to them (they are 2 1/2 hours away from me) so that they can update the mapping on their rolling road.
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: