glove box anti theft switch

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:03 pm

There is a switch in my Plus 2 glove box. I think it is anti theft device. It seems to be routed to both the horn and the ignition. I have had intermittent horn, ignition, and tach problems in the last year.

I drove with a random tach for over a year with no other issues. It would swing to random readings unrelated to engine speed. Then the horn started turning on with the ignition. The horn problem went away.

But then this spring the ignition cut out entirely. So far the coil, distributor, points, condenser, and tach have been replaced in an effort to resolve the ignition cut out and random tach reading.

Currently the tach reads randomly some of the time. The ignition has also cut out briefly a few times in the last 100 miles.

Could the glove box switch be causing any or all of this? Can I just get the switch bypassed? How does one even access the switch?
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:34 pm

Hi
Yes it can be bypassed - I did mine decades ago. Obviously there is a problem with access and I guess I did mine when changing the dashboard but I really cant remember. It is a simple 2 pole 2way slide switch and you simply have to make permanent the connections in the 'go' position by means of soldering and insulating or similar..
The switch could very well cause some or all of the problems you are experiencing. As is often the case with Lotus (or any) electrics it is a process of elimination and eliminating the the switch would be part of that.
I'm not sure I've been much help - I guess you didn't want to hear ' It easy - all you have to do is take your dashboard out' . Its highly likely someone else will be along with a better solution.
Cheers
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:52 am

As above, I did mine decades ago also.
I was having the engine cut when going over bad bumps.
Certainly didn't remove the dashboard.
From vague, ( getting vaguer by the day....), I found some screws on the inside of the glovebox and when I removed them I was able to drop the box down enough to get in there with a soldering iron and effectively put the switch permanently "on".

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:28 am

Lotus 50 wrote:Could the glove box switch be causing any or all of this? Can I just get the switch bypassed? How does one even access the switch?

I am afraid the switch is rubbish, and definitely should either be replaced by a proper switch, or bypassed. It is an open frame slide switch, with no dust or moisture protection. Most have failed by now.

When in the 'anti theft' position, the coil is disconnected and switching on the ignition blows the horn. Hardly going to stop a determined thief. Simpler times I guess.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:06 am

Andy8421 wrote:
Lotus 50 wrote:Could the glove box switch be causing any or all of this? Can I just get the switch bypassed? How does one even access the switch?

I am afraid the switch is rubbish, and definitely should either be replaced by a proper switch, or bypassed. It is an open frame slide switch, with no dust or moisture protection. Most have failed by now.

When in the 'anti theft' position, the coil is disconnected and switching on the ignition blows the horn. Hardly going to stop a determined thief. Simpler times I guess.

I agree about the poor switch, but tbf I can't think of any other car that came with any anti theft devices in 1969 when my S4 was built.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:01 am

I tried the switch today for the first time in 39 years of ownership. Moving the switch position doesn’t do anything.
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:49 am

Mine is still in one piece, but as the car is in pieces I’ve not had a chance to test it. It looks OK… :)
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:51 am

JonB wrote:Mine is still in one piece, but as the car is in pieces I’ve not had a chance to test it. It looks OK… :)

Car electrics of this era were generally poor quality, no seals on connections, badly designed switches, low quality ancillaries. In the case of the Elan, add in a wiring system designed for a body earth return bodged to cope with a glass fibre body. I guess the cars weren't expected to last that long, so why bother with making the electrics reliable.

Jon, if your switch hasn't failed, it will do. If I were you, and wanted the functionality, then I would replace it (ideally with a closed frame sealed switch), if not, I would bypass it.

I took the opportunity to bypass mine when the hopeless multi-way plug behind the glovebox between the engine and body wiring loom melted.

Good luck.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:54 am

Agreed on all points! I can see it's junk - my point is it looks as if it will work. My car was off the road for 35 years give or take, in dry storage, hence my suggestion it could be OK. I would replace it with a better switch, because it's part of the original functionality of the car, and my resto is aiming for originality (within a budget).

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: