Turn signal and dip switch positions

PostPost by: lbcnut » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:47 am

On my S4 the turn signal switch is to the right on the steering column, with the dip switch on the left. I would like to reverse these positions so that the arrangement would match my daily driver. I recently watched a YouTube driving video of an Elan S2 for sale on Bringatrailer.com and the turn signal stalk was on the left.
Can this change be made simply?

A secondary question...on my car the "indicator" warning light on the speedo is amber; the one in the driving video was green. Are either (or both) of these colors correct?
lbcnut
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:08 am

The indicator and light stalks can be swaped round quite simply by disconnecting the bullets and carefully pulling the wires back through the column. What you have to be mindful of is that where the wires go through the board on the light switch, they very often break there, probably due to age. I have 2 such stalks, very annoying.

Re your indicator warning light question, I believe either are correct, but green is more common. I have gauges with both colours.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:09 pm

Yes, as 512BB says, it's quite straightforward to do. When I did mine I removed the conduit channel to simplify rerouting the wiring.

The dip and main beam bullet connectors need to be switched otherwise the switch will operate upside down. And the little indicator label on the cowling will be wrong (it's a very fragile little water transfer). You can get them from Rimmers (I seem to remember) but be sure to specify which side you want them for! Sue Miller used to stock them but only for RHD cars, which have the indicator on the right - she may have both sides now.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:25 am

lbcnut wrote:Can this change be made simply?

A secondary question...on my car the "indicator" warning light on the speedo is amber; the one in the driving video was green. Are either (or both) of these colors correct?

Thank you for raising the issue, I keep telling myself I should consider it ... now I have no excuse

as for the indicator color, based on what I have at hand I'm under the impression that amber was for older models and green for later models (S2 vs S4)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:42 pm

I considered swapping my stalks during the long period before the car was roadworthy. But then when I started driving it I found I had no problem with the stock arrangement...if anything, I now sometimes finding myself turning on the wipers before making turns in my daily car! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:50 am

Hi The Veg,
That is exactly what I do. Modern indicator stalks are on the wrong side in countries which drive on the left.
The original idea was to have the indicator stalk on the right so that you could signal and change gear at the same time. This is the natural way to do it and soon becomes intuitive.
This is how it works on left hand drive cars and is correct.
Unfortunately for us most car manufacturing countries now drive on the right and they will no longer adapt there vehicles for us.
It is all the other cars that are wrong, not ours.
I will not change mine over because it is right as it is and makes for smoother driving.
I think nothing of it when driving the Elan any more than adapting from my automatic Fords that I drive daily to the manual gearbox Elan.
I will say that changing back to the Ford has problems. If you are behind me and notice that I have started the wipers, then prepare for me to turn left. !!.
So, change it over if you feel more comfortable but please make sure that it can be corrected easily later.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris-72sprint » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:45 pm

Great question and solution - know what I will be doing on Sunday :D
Chris-72sprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:20 am

Eric,
You reminded me of a story my brother told after returning from a multi-week trip to Australia during which he hired a little camper-van and drove down the east coast, passing along the way through some small rural towns. He said that he stopped for fuel in one such remote little place and a leathery old white-bearded gent walked up to him as he stepped out of the van and said, "so, what part of The States ya from?" My brother was dumbfounded that the guy had never laid eyes on him before but knew he was a Yank and asked how the guy knew. "Because," he answered, "ya put on the wipers before turning!" :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:18 am

:lol: Every time I drive my Jensen Healey!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: