Amps meter help

PostPost by: JasonJ » Wed May 31, 2023 6:43 pm

Hi agent

If possible could I get a little help, brief background owned car for a couple of months now, and just noticed the Lucas amp meter seems to be working opposite.

Indication was when working windows it should be pulling current and indicator moving to - negative,…. But it is moving to positive!

Now my question is how can I rectify this, the car has been converted to negative earth and on the back of the amp meter are 2 thicker gauge wires going to the top spade connectors.
And there is also I wire on a bottom spade connector marked (IGN) which I’m guessing is ignition.

Any help would be most appreciate.

Regards
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:24 pm

If the ammeter needle is operating in the incorrect direction then all you need to do is reverse its two connections.

Not sure what you mean about 'top spade' connectors but from memory the Smiths gauge has two large threaded studs (oh, maybe they are fitted with male spades) and the ends of the thick cable have female receptacles.

So just swap the two wires over.

I wonder if the third tab you mention is the connection to the illumination, or maybe one stud is fitted with a second a smaller tab to take off a feed to the IGN.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JasonJ » Wed May 31, 2023 9:54 pm

Thanks Ian

I did think it may just be a case of switch connections but I wanted to ask just to be sure I was not going to cause any problems.

And yes I meant the style of connections and your correct the wires have the female ends and the gauge itself has the male ( spade type connectors)

I should have mentioned there is a separate feed for illumination which is a small gauge wire. In total on the back of the gauge there are 4 male type spade connections and 1 illumination
2 large at top with large gauge wires
2 smaller at bottom with one smaller gauge wire marked IGN
1 illumination

Will switch over tomorrow

Cheers
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JasonJ » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:35 am

Update

I have switched over both larger gauge wires on top of ammeter ( one marked Alt- presumably Alternator other marked SOL presumably Soleniod)

I done this and it never showed pulling current until I switched the smaller gauge wire marked IGN presumably ingnition, now all seems to be working well.

When operating lights current pulling 10-15 -ve, engine not running ignition on. Same when operating windows maybe pulling slightly more current to close.

When engine running at idle ammeter sits at 0 when revved goes up to 5-10+ve

If anyone notices anything untoward in my update please comment with explanation. Pic attached with new wiring set up

Regards
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: