Federal Plus 2 Wiring Diagram

PostPost by: Ceej » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:34 pm

I have a 1970 (69 build) Federal Plus 2. It's a late early car, kind of 'S' (driving lights), kind of not (4 gauges,early steering column, dynamo, RB106, etc.). IOW, the quintessential 'whatever was at hand at build time' kind of car.

My shop manual has 7 wiring diagrams in it, none of which are what the car has, which is the aforementioned dynamo, RB106 2 fuse harness. I've searched but have not been able to find a diagram that matches my configuration. Can anyone show me where to find one hereabouts, elsewhere, or otherwise share one?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Ceej
New-tral

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:28 pm

I think I might have the one you need. It's marked Elan +2 (RB106 control box) Sept '67 - March '68. The sheet number is LSL 140. The year isn't quite right but it has all you asked for; 2 fuse, RB106, 4 gauges, but no driving lights. Do you have that one?

NOTE: My book has eleven wiring charts and diagrams. Not all workshop manuals were made to the samw spec either. :lol:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ceej » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:06 am

Hello Bud,

No I don't have that one. And by the sound of it, it's close, or certainly closer than any of the versions in my shop manual. Are you able to post it here? I'd go private but I'm too new for off-board communication.

I do have driving lights, a part of the 'S' part of the car. As part of the work to be done those will be going away. I've always felt that they (along with the dreaded Stromberg Bump) ruin the elegant, curved simplicity of the original design.
Ceej
New-tral

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:50 pm

Here it is in both JPG and PDF form. Both enlarge well and are very clear when downloaded.
Attachments
IMG_20230405_0002.jpg and
+2 Wiring Chart '67-'68 RB106_20230405_0001.pdf
(989.39 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ceej » Mon May 08, 2023 9:46 pm

Belated thank you Bud!

I noticed that the diagram shows the negative battery terminal going to the solenoid. This leads me to several questions:

Is the diagram for positive earth cars?
If it is for positive earth, what other aspects of the wiring harness will be different than negative earth?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris
Ceej
New-tral

PostPost by: HCA » Mon May 08, 2023 11:24 pm

My assumption from your post is that you have a negative earth? You imply this but do not state the fact.

As far as I know all Elans with a dynamo generator were positive earth. But this needs confirmation.

It could be that your car was originally positive earth, but had a modern transistor radio fitted requiring negative earth, and had the dynamo re-polarised to negative earth.

Generally the wiring diagram will be the same (substitute - for + and + for -) but I cannot remember if some of the instruments had to have their connections reversed.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ceej » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:30 pm

Bud English wrote:Here it is in both JPG and PDF form. Both enlarge well and are very clear when downloaded.

Hi Bud,

I spent some time enhancing the file you posted. I've colo(u)rized it, filtered out all of the scanning noise and sharpened the text. I *think* it's accurate,although some of the text was a little fuzzy. I was a little puzzled by simultaneous RG and GR color references. I moved forward with documenting them (differently) on the basis that they are in fact different. Perhaps someone w/ more knowledge will come along and clarify.

I find I can follow the wire paths more quickly and accurately w/ the addition of color, and the editing exercise certainly has helped expand my understanding of the electrics.

While editing I came to understand that this is a positive earth diagram. My limited understanding (gained almost entirely by reading threads here) is that there are only limited differences between positive and negative earth looms.

Thanks again, and...

Cheers!

Chris
Attachments
+2 Wiring Chart '67-'68 RB106 - Color.pdf
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
Ceej
New-tral

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:47 am

Nicely done Chris. As for RG and GR, The first letter is the colo(u)r of the wire color and the second is the tracer (stripe) color. RG is a red wire with a green tracer. GR is green with red.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: