Failsafe headlamp spring fitting

PostPost by: 2tmike » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:48 am

I've abandoned the electric lift conversion on the car and now in the process of reverting to original failsafe vacuum lift. All was going well until it came to installing the lift springs. I have a new smaller/softer one from SJS which went on OK on one side but the full strength original spring is resisting all attempts to fit the other side. Basically I cannot bend it enough to fit the mounting holes and I've tried top first and bottom first but its just not going to happen. Has anyone experience of this and found a trick to it ?
Thanks, Mike
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:21 pm

Well done to keep vacuum system.
For the vacuum unit i imagine you have the fitting to go between the car body and vacuum unit.
Is it easier to fit tje loop in the spring to pod and vacuum unit. Then lift vacuum unit fitted to spring bent end into place compressing spring. Attach vacuum unit to body.
All this with no light units in place
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:31 pm

Thanks Alan, I'll give that a try, I do have the original pod mounting base. Also just bought a new 'stronger' spring from SJS which by 'feel' doesn't seem as hard to bend as the old one I've been trying with
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:17 pm

Springs fitted, the new parts from SJS were much more managable than the original I had so only minimal bruises and a little blood spilt in the process.....Thanks everyone for suggestions
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:43 pm

Well done that man, keep up the good work.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: