Voltage drop

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:09 pm

I was looking to find why my air horns don't always work & started to check the voltage at various places. When I check the voltage at the starter solenoid & then check the voltage at the fuses I am getting a 1 volt drop. The harness was replaced 10 years ago when I did the rebuild. I would really like to check the voltage at the ignition switch but can't get to it without partially removing the dash. I was wondering if any of you are getting the same voltage drop?
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:57 am

The ignition switch is marginal in its capacity ot handle the original loads imposed on it when new. Corrosion and dirt on the contacts inside the swtich can cause a signficant voltage drop when loads are applied in the circuits it switches. And as you observe removing it for cleaning or replacement is not a trivial exercise :(

When I redesigned the wiring on my Elan many years ago i added relays for the horn and other loads so the ignition switch is just carrying current for the relays it controls.

Recently i have added a relay for the preengage starter which I change to after i did the re wiring. The current drawn by the preengage solenoid on the starter is around 10 amps which is to much for the igntion switch directly.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:39 am

I have had air horns on my car almost from new & they use a relay. The problem is that even using a relay the power to the relay comes through the ignition switch & the fuse. The relay only means the horn button carries a small current to activate it. If you look at the circuit diagram almost everything comes through the fuses & the ignition switch. I should have checked the ignition switch when I did the restoration, a good point for anyone doing a rebuild to check.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: