WOSP starter installaton orientation

PostPost by: TonyA » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:05 pm

Can anyone confirm wether this starter fits the bell housing with motor part uppermost, or solenoid part uppermost or putting it another way, is the live cable post on the engine block side ( awkward) or the outside (easy)..I would love to be sure. Perhaps it only goes on one way, but which way..? Photo anyone..? Thx as ever..Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:32 pm

No-one replied but I figured it out. The solenoid part of the starter hangs UNDER the motor part when in pisition on the bell housing. Actually the shape of the thing only allows you to install it one way anyway. In the bolted in position, the stud on the motor for attaching the battery feed cable is on the inside ie between engine block and starter. This means its a little fiddly to connect the heavy cable after the starter is bolted in place.TOP TIP: disconnect the battery feed cable from the bulkhead solenoid and then attach the other end to the starter, BEFORE lifting it into position to bolt in place. Do up the cable connection to the bulkhead solenoid last. I attach a couple of photos of the starter in situ...Tony

PS It starts like a turbine, I'm very happy..!! :D
Attachments
20230203_114158.jpg and
WOSP side view
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi Tony.
Another happy man.
If it behaves like mine you will never look back. In my opinion it is money well spent.
With the Lucas bendix starter if the engine fires but does not run immediately then the starter is thrown out of engagement and you have to start again. With your new one it will continue to crank until the engine is capable of running unassisted. Some will say that a perfect engine should not do this, but sometimes at low temperatures or after a long lay up it does. For you those days have gone.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: