Is there something missing? (Heater Fan)

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:44 pm

Took my radio out as it wasn't working
Looking inside the dashboard cutout, it doesn't seem to be quite right.
Its difficult to make out exactly but should I be able to see the (rusty) fan blades or is something missing?
Radio slot.PNG and

Cheers
Steve
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:07 pm

there should be a "rubber intake seal" , probably disintegrated in part or all now, which would reduce the windshield blowing efficiency...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:55 pm

nmauduit wrote:there should be a "rubber intake seal" , probably disintegrated in part or all now, which would reduce the windshield blowing efficiency...

Something else to source/buy - Oh deep joy! :?
Thanks for getting back to me.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:19 pm

I would think the most time consuming aspect would be to get access ... I don't hold dashboard work alone as a most pleasurable maintenance.
Once accessible, I would think that a suitable closed foam seal could be cut and glued from modern material and have decent durability, if a preformed part is not readily available (then also time to verify or at least lubricate the fan motor I would suggest).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm

nmauduit wrote:I would think the most time consuming aspect would be to get access ... I don't hold dashboard work alone as a most pleasurable maintenance.
Once accessible, I would think that a suitable closed foam seal could be cut and glued from modern material and have decent durability, if a preformed part is not readily available (then also time to verify or at least lubricate the fan motor I would suggest).

Think I have more to do - and a newly varnished/plasticoated dash might also be on the cards. Possible leaking of the matrix was a reason to have a 'gander' inside the slot in the first place. :D
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:45 am

I would suggest your heaterbox has dropped a little. The seal would only be around 5/6mm at a guess so you shouldn’t be able to see that much of the fan blades, it should compress against the plenum. Time consuming job. You might find the fan works with some lubrication on the spindle shaft.

If the matrix is leaking that’s a pain but your local radiator repair shop would sort it for you. Just as likely to be a leak from the old dried out rubber hoses.

Good luck with it.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:12 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I would suggest your heaterbox has dropped a little. The seal would only be around 5/6mm at a guess so you shouldn’t be able to see that much of the fan blades, it should compress against the plenum. Time consuming job. You might find the fan works with some lubrication on the spindle shaft.

If the matrix is leaking that’s a pain but your local radiator repair shop would sort it for you. Just as likely to be a leak from the old dried out rubber hoses.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Steve.
Its a job I am putting off until I've finished with the lattice repair and minor reupholstery touch ups.
I'm sure once I get the dash out, I'll be considering a rewire, but it's not going to be a restoration, just a preservation :roll: :roll: :roll:
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:10 pm

Any one able to identify the source (or have a spare that they would part with) of the heater fan motor, I’ve misplaced the motor for my S1
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:15 pm

vstibbard wrote:Any one able to identify the source (or have a spare that they would part with) of the heater fan motor, I’ve misplaced the motor for my S1
Vaughan

Are they not from a London Taxi ???
Source however????
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:43 pm

Thank you.
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:08 am

vstibbard wrote:Any one able to identify the source (or have a spare that they would part with) of the heater fan motor, I’ve misplaced the motor for my S1
Vaughan

Replacement motors are available in the UK ....... not cheap though and shipping cost to Australia might rule it out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272954408206 ... BM4u2dwK9h
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:50 am

Thank you for eBay listing
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gentry74 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 pm

I recently pulled the heater from my s3, had the element cored at a radiator shop...etc... and I rebuilt the motor. Some notes on all this...

-the fan blade is peened on in addition to the set screw... so you can file the end of the shaft round again and slide it off. Its a pretty fragile fan blade... so beware.. Don't forget to re-peen after reinstall. Of course...you don't NEED to remove the fan unless you are rebuilding the motor.

-for the seal between plenum and heater I used self adhesive neoprene weatherseal roll off the shelf from home depot. Narrowest thinnest one they had. It has adhesive on both sides. I stuck it to heater, then pulled the other side adhesive paper before reinstalling heater- so it would adhere to the plenum too. It all worked fine. You don't want anything too thick or wide. My first attempt with a wider product resulted in the fan blade getting stuck by excess neoprene to the point it was immobile. Oops.
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:35 pm

gentry74 wrote:I recently pulled the heater from my s3, had the element cored at a radiator shop...etc... and I rebuilt the motor. Some notes on all this...

-the fan blade is peened on in addition to the set screw... so you can file the end of the shaft round again and slide it off. Its a pretty fragile fan blade... so beware.. Don't forget to re-peen after reinstall. Of course...you don't NEED to remove the fan unless you are rebuilding the motor.

-for the seal between plenum and heater I used self adhesive neoprene weatherseal roll off the shelf from home depot. Narrowest thinnest one they had. It has adhesive on both sides. I stuck it to heater, then pulled the other side adhesive paper before reinstalling heater- so it would adhere to the plenum too. It all worked fine. You don't want anything too thick or wide. My first attempt with a wider product resulted in the fan blade getting stuck by excess neoprene to the point it was immobile. Oops.

It was suggested earlier that my heater unit may have dropped a little away from the plenum, further than it should be. What locates it in the correct place?
Attachments
heating.JPG and
Not the S2 arrangement - but similar enough
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:59 pm

Have a read through this topic, there are some really useful photos and tips that helped with the heater installation on my car. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=30833

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: