Window switches

PostPost by: cadwell » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:43 pm

At the risk of being shot down by you electrical experts can I ask a question.
I am checking my S4 dashboard before installation, and as I have a spare window motor thought I would bench test the window operation.
Problem is that the motor will only operate in one direction. Checking the switches, there is contact between the brown and brown and green, but switching the other way there is no connection. This is on one new and one old switch.
So I am thinking the new switch is surely not faulty? So am I doing something wrong.
Surely the switch just changes over the contact from one side of the switch to the other?
Any assistance appreciated.

Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:04 pm

Hi Peter,
The direction of travel is reversed by reversing the polarity of the supply to the motor via the dash switch. The DPDT switch should have cross-over wires between the spade connectors on the back.

Window switching.jpg and

Ignore the black earth wire on the motor (if fitted) it's just to earth the casing to aid radio suppression and is not required to make the motor run.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi Roger
Many thanks for your speedy response.
They are 6 terminal switches with the cross over connections you show on your sketch.
I thought the correct wiring was brown and black to the top two and the brown/red and brown/green to the centre two, but I tried your suggestion and the same result, motor runs one way but nothing the other way.
I think it must be faulty switches, the wiring seems quite simple.

Thanks
Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:13 pm

Manually swop the centre two connections it should run the other way.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:58 pm

They can be disassembled and cleaned internally - this topic might help (the last photo) viewtopic.php?t=40804&p=285362

Be very careful when separating the top from the bottom, there are two very small springs inside the double plungers (the item in the centre of the photo) that will try to escape, never to be found again, if not handled carefully. I did the job on top of a bed sheet rather than a table/bench where things can roll off. Make a note of how the two rocker blades are orientated before removing. I used contact cleaner and some fine steel wool. Before reassembling gently close slightly together the four "legs" to put a bit of tension into them so that they grip the bottom housing better.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:28 am

Many thanks Craven and Mike
Craven, good idea, I swapped the two output leads and the motor runs the opposite way, and as the switches only buzz one way, it presumably means that both the new and old switches are faulty.
I will take one apart, as suggested.
Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:01 pm

I’ve seen some of those cross connections very poorly made, worthwhile jumping across with a separate wire before taking the switch apart.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:43 pm

Well,after all that hassle. Cross connections looked to be fine and was about to take the new switch apart but thought I would try it one more time, and it worked! Not only that but the second one which was not new has also started working! I can understand the old one needing a number of clicks to clear the contacts but the new one is 6 months old and not been used.
Anyway all is well now, so thanks once again for your assistance, this is a really great forum..
Happy Christmas everyone!

Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:54 pm

Well done, and to everyone, may this Christmas be as good as it can be for you.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: