+2S Headlamps

PostPost by: Breezehill » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:48 pm

Hi

Just a question on headlamps and sidelight operation.

It’s a non fail safe version and when you raise the headlamps should the sidelight’s also come on?
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Yes.

Have a look at these attachments.

:)
Attachments
Lotus Manual.jpg and
ParkRelayDiagA.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Thanks for the information.

Is this from the manual?
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 pm

Yes, but unfortunately the sidelamp switch contact arrangements is not shown in sufficient detail.

:(
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:05 am

Thanks for the info, I’ll take another look today and check the connections.

The issue following a full rewire is the side lights. All connected up as per +2S with alternator and three fuse boxes. Connect the battery and immediately the side lights are on and dashboard switch seems to have no effect. Disconnect a wire from the sidelight micro switch the side lights go off.
Raise the headlamps and they come on ok and side lights work ok if you press the switch to park. So confused !!
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:10 am

You need to read the description of circuit carefully to switch off the side lights. It’s a tricky arrangement in the side light switch is press to operate one position only, when pressed latches or unlatches the relay. I hate +2 wiring know very little about it.
FWIW
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:24 pm

Craven wrote:You need to read the description of circuit carefully to switch off the side lights. It’s a tricky arrangement in the side light switch is press to operate one position only, when pressed latches or unlatches the relay. I hate +2 wiring know very little about it.
FWIW

I would agree with that.

The section from the Lotus Manual is badly written and confusing IMHO and there is no detail drawing of the switch circuit. I posted it for what is was worth.

The overall electrical schematic drawing of the switch connections is confusing due to lack of detail.

It’s a long time since I dismantled my sidelight switch, but if I remember correctly there are 6 contacts, 3 pairs of 2. Terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5 are permanently bridged internally.

I have drawn and numbered them for convenience of explanation, the actual layout may be different.

The main feed to the switch at terminal 1 comes from the NW wire from the ignition switch. When the switch is pressed to the “on” position, a normally open bridge connects terminal 1 to terminal 2, on through 4 and 3, to wire U to the relay winding W1. This closes the relay contacts, supplying power to the sidelight fuses through wire RG, AND back feeding with wire RG to the switch at terminal 6. Terminal 6 is also connected to relay winding feed wire U by means of a normally closed bridge to terminal 5. This holds the relay closed.

When the switch is pressed to “off” the bridge connecting terminals 5 and 6 is opened, removing the holding feed to the relay coil and causing the relay contacts to open.

I would appreciate if anyone has any pics or drawings of the switch, as I have written the above from memory. Since I have recently fitted the Spyder electric headlight system with a rotary sidelight/headlight switch I wont be going back.

:)
Attachments
Sidelight switch.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: